Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Garmin Monatana 650T

Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM
AJB
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Monatana 650T

Does anyone have any personal experience with this GPS? Im looking to mount one on Vactor Offroad mount system but am wondering if the 650T is overkill or if all the preloaded maps are really worth it.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AJB
Does anyone have any personal experience with this GPS? Im looking to mount one on Vactor Offroad mount system but am wondering if the 650T is overkill or if all the preloaded maps are really worth it.

Are you looking for a device just for offroad drive or will also use for hiking and other applications where having a portable GPS is needed?

If just for offroad driving I recommend you get a tablet running Android such as the Acer A100, download an app called OruxMaps and then download free Goggle topo maps for the region you want. You can use it offline and it has its own GPS. The tablet is cheaper, has a much bigger touch screen and the flexility to do a lot more stuff. I have a Garmin Oregon and used to have the eTrex Vista before. Those two are great for walking but of you are driving the screen is too small. The Montana does not seem much larger so I'd look at the tablet option.

Here's my Acer installed on my Vector running the app with Google topo map.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3394235820.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	371468

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 09-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM
AJB
JK Newbie

I plan to use it for normal driving, off roading, and hiking. I have never had a handheld GPS just a 5 year old Garmin Nuvi.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AJB
I plan to use it for normal driving, off roading, and hiking. I have never had a handheld GPS just a 5 year old Garmin Nuvi.
In that case I suggest you stop by Rei, Cabelas or similar and compare them. It will not be possible to have one to fit all your needs perfectly so you need to see and play with them to decide where you can compromise. Take a look at the Montana and the Oregon.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:57 AM
AJB
JK Newbie

OK thanks. I think the only thing close is a bass pro shop here in south Florida. Not much selection for outdoors shops in this concrete covered swamp.

Quick Reply: Garmin Monatana 650T