Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Jeepn' Geocachers!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GeoZmonKey

I started geocaching in '02, in pasadena califonia, with a crappy gps receiver that never let me find anything; and no-one could find the cache I hid either.

My GF, her daughter and I just restarted this year, with a less crappy, fairly accurate gps receiver. We're 2 days to 2 weeks behind Castle228 on every cache we've found so far.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just signed up last night and used the same name kidjeep. I just got my Garmin Trail Guide a couple weeks ago, so maybe this weekend I'll go exploring with the kids. I found a couple interesting ones to look for around town here too! I'm hoping my 5 year old daughter enjoys it and it may be a way to get the family out in the JK more!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Been geocaching since 2005. Started out after stumbling onto the GC.com website. I go by the same GreytSilly on GC.com as I use here. Nothing better than going out with a Jeep and a GPS looking for "treasures".
Old 04-07-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

My caching name is Lakebum also. I started caching in 2005 and have been hooked since.

I usually cache in my Jeep Cherokee, but when the top comes off it will be with my JK all the way.

For those of you interested there is a Jeep thread on the geocaching forum that has some pretty good Jeep pictures.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=150677

This is my Cherokee at a cache near Lake Lanier. We were driving along the shoreline. There should be about 20 feet of water where my jeep is in this picture. the tree in the background should be under water.
Sorry I don't have any caching pictures of my JK yet.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

gO dUCKS!!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

hmmm, I remember looking into it a while back, and reading up on it every so often. Then college and lack of funds...

A thread like this has piqued my interest and have been looking at setting up the JK with better GPS. I'm sure I'll need a handheld too though.

Any suggestions on how to get started? Probably gonna start in the East Coast / Mid-Atlantic area.

Should I make it to Oregon again, I'm sure I'll spend a day or two looking there too.

Hey Crux...
any pics of your hand made coins... sounds interesting.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I just recently got into geocaching. I first heard about geocaching on this forum. When we travel, I try to look up a couple of geocaches ahead of time. We've found quite a few travel bugs and some geocoins and enjoy moving them along and looking for more. When I first got into it, my husband thought it sounded kind of stupid, but now he's kind of into it too. We've started a few travel bugs of our own. I use the same user name as here...
Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
Any suggestions on how to get started? Probably gonna start in the East Coast / Mid-Atlantic area.
Go to Geocaching.com and log in. You will need to register a geocaching name and password, but it is free.

Once in, you can enter your zip code and find the caches in your area. You go to the specific cache pages, get the GPS coords and you are on your way.

Some cachers have done caches without a GPS, but I think it would be pretty difficult. You pretty much need a hand help GPS of some sort. Preferably one you can enter the coords into and it will point you to that location. A simple Garmin Etrex for under a $100 will get you there. They get more expensive as you add features like turn by turn directions.

Caching has gotten me out to some really cool places. If you are looking for a reason to head off into the woods or go for a hike this is a fun, easy reason to do so.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife and I go by sunlyonmyklt8. haven't done it in a while, think we may hit some this weekend
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie

What is a good GPS for Geocaching?

Quick Reply: Jeepn' Geocachers!!!