Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

looking for gps

Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for gps

i was in the market for a gps hoping to get a decent on road and off road but was wondering if any have weather reports also??
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure just what your looing for but have spent alot of time Offshore and having used alot of GPS units.. The best that I found where all Garmin Units.

For My ATV and Jeep I use an Etrex..It a basic unit but it will show where you are and where you've been..That's really all I need..Combined with a good topo map I'm pretty set.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on your phone carrier you could have all in one. The Garmin A50 through tmobile will give you street level mapping and weather and comes on the phone. You can purchase the topo mapping for the phone as well. its what I use. I think its availble at at&t as well.

This is the topo mapping on the a50

Old 07-29-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Super Freak

I just picked up a Magellan explorist gc for the wife 2 weeks ago. It is completely paperless and I am absolutely impressed with it. With that being said Megellan is kicking off the new explorist line with 3 other models. I would take a serious gander at them if I was you. The GC is designed just for caching but the other models come armed to the teethe.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

I'm looking for a In Jeep GPS as well. I'm looking at the HDS-5 Baja. Has anybody used this? Is it good for off-road trails?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I like going topless in the Jeep and ride motorcycles (street, dirt, and dual sport) a Garmin Zumo 550 was the logical choice for me. It is a pricey unit but for all that it does, I think I got my money's worth. Bluetooth capable to synch with your phone and wireless headsets, MP3 player, jpg viewer, waterproof, shock resistant and tons more features come on it. Has micro SD slot for more memory. I can load A LOT of music on it and play through headset when riding or use the line-in on the Jeep when in it. It's also capable to sync to XM radio and satellite weather but that requires an additional antenna and subscription. As for geocaching, it lacks a feature or two that would make it more adapted but I use my HTC Incredible phone to pick up where it leaves off with good results.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414&ra=true Garmin's webisite has them listed for $899 but I've seen them on Amazon for as low as $610.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Cool, Thanks! I'll look into it.

Quick Reply: looking for gps