Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Portable GPS Nav Unit

Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with Delorme if you are looking for something that is geared more towards a handheld that can be used in the Jeep. In side by side comparisons with any other brand they always blow them out of the water with the software, and performance. If you are looking for more of one that can be used in the Jeep, and can be taken out for handheld use then the Lowrance XOG is the one that perfoms better. Here is a comparison of the maps so you can really see who has the best maps out there.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Smile

I have been using Garmin GPS units since 1999. I currently have a Garmin
GPSMAP 276C which is a big, heavy duty unit with a big bright screen. I have loaded City Navigator and Garmin Topo maps for SoCal and AZ into the unit. While it has an 18 hour battery, it is too big to fit into a pocket. A day pack maybe. It has several screens. The ones I use most often are the (1) Map Screen, (2) the Navigate Screen and (3) what I call the "cockpit" screen which includes your course, speed over the ground, elapsed time, time of day, date, lat/long, sunrise/sunset, distance traveled, battery life, etc. There are about six more elements you can add to this screen. It is very useful. This unit also came with a DVD showing you all the features and how to set it up for use. I highly recommend this unit for vehicle use. The cost from Garmin is about $600As I remember, I got it for around $400 on line. eBay as I remember
Old 11-13-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More threads on this Question

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/gps-geocaching-100/best-crossover-gps-50149/

and

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/gps-geocaching-100/gps-navigation-great-offroading-55050/
Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Here's what I'd like. But gotta wait for the price to come down. Check out the 3D view of the hills, in the second picture.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 PM
JK Newbie

I use a Garmin 76CSx handheld loaded with topo maps. The 76CSx is funtionally identical to the 60CSx but a different shape. I also have a RAM suction mount for it that is attached to the windshield right next to the A piller. It doesn't block my view while I'm driving and it's very quick to pop it out of the mount and take it with me. If you want I can post a pic of my setup.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sure, post a photo if it's not too much trouble.
thanks.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

I would definitely go with the RAM mounts as well. They make cradles for most units, they are universal with other RAM parts (in case you have other things in other places to mount) and just really well built. You can pay the same amount for Garmin's suction cup mount, but RAM is MUCH better (my Garmin mount had a suction cup that only held marginally, and eventually broke).

We attach laptops to windshields at work with RAM components, and they work great.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a picture of my setup...

And here is a link to the RAM web site, it has a good photo of the mount from the side.

http://products.ram-mount.com/rammount/productdetail.aspx?partnumber=RAM-B-166-GA14U

Last edited by Robar; 11-17-2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

If your looking for something primarily for driving the Garmin 60's can be a bit small. I have the Magellan Crossover & think it's a good deal for the price. The routing can be a bit quirky at times & the ETA is always off by 20% (or maybe I drive too fast). I mainly got it because it was the best price for an automobile based GPS that can track you trail offroad.

My Garmin (I forget the number, it's one of the lower end models) in my wife's car does a better job of street routing, ETA, & has more Points of Interest. It however does not leave breadcrumbs.

If I could afford the Garmin 500 (it tracks your offroad route) I would get it.

If you are looking for something primarily handheld then get the Garmin 60. Or, get a Garmin Nuvi for onroad & a Garmin eTrex for offroad/hiking.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 AM
JK Freak

I think the Lowerance topo maps are the best by far!!!

Quick Reply: Portable GPS Nav Unit