Notices
GPS & Geocaching If you're looking for information regarding GPS or are interested in Geocaching, this is the forum for you.

Question for you GPS owners

Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Question for you GPS owners

I've researched fixed mount GPS, the kind that are predominately used to navigate city/county/state streets and highways. I particularly like the Garmin Nuvi 255W (I'm not into Bluetooth nor do I want Traffic, so I don't want to pay for those options).

I picked up an informative post on another board (LINK) and got alarmed, due mostly to my own ignorance. I thought these GPS devices "followed" you no matter where you drove your Jeep. I now realize that's not the case.

So my question for you GPS owners, particularly Nuvi owners, is this:

What do I need to purchase in addition to the GPS in order to be able to use the unit when I go to Moab in October? Topographical maps? Is that a product Garmin sells in a nationwide bundle or can you only buy regional maps? Where's the best place to purchase the topo maps or must you source them from the manufactuer?

OK- that's more than one question, but I'd appreciate the help. At the end of the day, I may still buy a GPS if for no other reason than the 900 mile drive from Omaha to Moab, but it would be a crying shame not to be able to use it out on the trail.

Thanks!

Sarge

P.S. Tiger Direct has these (new) for $179 shipped, a good value.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where as I can't completely answer your question about how to get the topo maps and what not....I can tell you that the Nuvi's(and maybe others) do not work on the trail or even in some rural areas. From my expierence it seems that if it's not on map quest or similar sites the gps won't get it either. I was very disapointed but it does come in handy around town, road trips, and I've even used mine on patrol
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Hugh, thanks for the reply... and Malo, that was a very informative post, I appreciate your insight. This makes my decision making easier.

I do have a follow up question for you though (Malo). When you were in Moab, did real trails like Poison Spider or Hell's Revenge actually show up with your topo maps? This is the four map item I was going to get:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...408&pvID=36719
Old 06-12-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Wow my MyGig shows a lot of trails we have here in Idaho. The others that do not show the MyGig will allow you to record them and the reuse them later if you would like to go back to that trail on a later date...

I can tell you this every trail we went on in Moab was NOT on the MyGig.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Can't thank you enough. Mucho appreciated.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

If you really want to have some fun with a GPS.......buy a motorcyle/ATV/offroad specific one (Garmin Zumo, 2610, 2720, 2730, 2820). Places like getfeetwet.com sell factory refurbs with brand new maps and a full Garmin backed warranty. I still use an old 2610 that I swap back and forth between the JK and my motorcycle. There are MANY more menu options and custom routing possibilities compared to a standard GPS. Not to mention they are shock proof AND waterproof. When you go with one of these, you also get the Garmin mapping software (Mapsource) that allows you to make and save routes while sitting on your ass in front of the computer and also dump your tracks of where you have been so you can retrace your steps if you ever want to.

I love it on my motorcycle. I'll head out over a weekend looking for sweet back roads. Then I'll put markers into the GPS when I find things I like/don't like. When I get home I dump my tracks onto the computer and save the good roads for making future routes. You could easily do the same thing with trails through the middle of nowhere
Old 06-13-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, I scored what I think is a reasonable deal on a Garmin nuvi 205W for $169 @ Wally World. I'm buying the U.S. Southwest map package from Garmin (another $129 - eek!), so I should be good to go for my trip.

Note: I've been playing with the Nuvi and I'm hugely impressed with how intuitive it is to use, light years easier than the 60c I owned five or six years back.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Go for the Trail Guide

I am really pleased with my Jeep Trail Guide. It came with City Navigator NT 8 and works great in the city. I've downloaded Topo maps to it, when I go on the trail. I like the portability of the unit. I use it in my Jeep, the family car, my motorcycle, and for geocaching. It's essential a Garmin Quest 2 with a fantastic speaker/power mount that looks great in the Wrangler. The Quest 2 can be had on ebay for about $125 now. Check it out.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had Jeep offered an upgrade for their nav. system? I have an 08 and it would be nice to see these Topo maps offered? I own an 08 and I use the mapping all the time. I do carry my motorcycle GPS as a backup.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default A different spin...

Ok, I take another spin on this. I use a GPS enabled Windows Mobile phone with one of many commercially available on-the-street map systems available.

For off-road use, it doesn't get any better than Google Maps for Windows Mobile. It doesn't cost a thing and it works beautifully. You do need a data plan and connection, however with Google Maps.

For US users, Garmin has Topo and has also a version for Windows Mobile.
For we Euro users, I think it doesn't get any better than Google Maps. I've tried them all.

Quick Reply: Question for you GPS owners