Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Drummond Island ORV closure?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drummond Island ORV closure?

Drummond Islands state owned property has recently been acquired by the USFGS (United States Fish & Game Services). This enables the DNR to permit certain only certain activities an. This applies mainly to fiash and game management. Due to the manner in which the lands were acquired. Since these were acquired with federal funding, the DNR has little room to wiggle. Before ANYONE gets pissed off at the DNR, let's take a minute and remember that they are sportsmen and outdoorsmen just like us.

A proposal has been put forth to attempt to create funding source exchange with an area on the mainland due to historic use of jeeps. They allowed that to be done for equestrian use because they had been doing it for 30 yrs. jeeps are no different in my book.*

This is in its early stages now. I cannot imagine the impact on the economy of the small island community and neighboring Detour village. I think we, as responsible off-roaders, need to let our voices be heard and do what we can to keep these miles of natural beauty open for public use.

We need to spread the word out there and make people aware of this situation. I hope to put this out on a couple different forums before my lunch break ends. Primarily ifsja.com and maybe Jeep-forum.com. If any one has the contact info for the awesome 4x4 club on Drummond that maintains those trails, we need to get ahold of them. I'll try to get some contact info on legislative folks.

Both Senators Booher and Casperson are going to be of no help with this. They have consistently shot down much of the funding of efforts to maintain lands by the DNR for public uses in that area.

I'll keep you posted as much as my crazy life permits.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

I miss typed, it's the USFWS, United States Fish & Wildlife Services.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

The property has not been acquired by the USFWS as stated above. How it works is like this. Most of the state owned lands in Michigan were acquired through tax reversion. At some point the previous owner stopped paying taxes and therefore the state of Michigan then becomes the owner. The forest resource division has been tasked with managing the majority of these lands.

A portion of the lands tha are owned by the state were acquired in different manners. Sometimes gifts, from private individuals or other government agencies. The DNR also purchases properties that are beneficial for various reasons. Sometimes different entities will actually provide funding to purchase these lands with the understanding that they will be managed in a certain manner and for a certain objective. A fair amount of the state ownership lands on Drummond island were purchased with USFWS funding or Pittman-Roberts or Dingell-Johnson funds. These are federal funding sources that are given to the state to purchase lands. The state of Michigan is the owner and managing entitie of these lands. However, by accepting tha funding the state is bound to certain management restrictions.

Just wanted to clear that up.
That bein said, the availability of lands on Drummond to do want we love to do is being threatened. These restrictions do not allow such activities to take place. Action needs to be taken to try and preserve such a great area for four wheeling. Work through your local interest groups and get as much information as possible.

Last edited by Sprucejefi; 08-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the clarification. Ill try to put some more info together so people can make their voices heard!

Quick Reply: Drummond Island ORV closure?