Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Fall JK Forum Drummond Island Trip Saturday October 1st and Sunday October 2nd 2011

Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys I know there is a lot of interest in trips this fall so I'm putting this thread up so people can plan ahead and get their calendars marked and days off way in advance.

We've done two trips up to Drummond Island and it has been a blast every time. The trails there range from mild to wild. This is also the weekend the fall colors should be peaking in the Upper Peninsula. Last year they made this trip even more memorable.

Normally we Chicago folk drive up Friday and set up camp that night and then wheel Saturday and Sunday and drive home Monday. We've had a great group of guys on both trips and whether you decide to join us for the day, camp, or stay at the resort you're guaranteed to have a great time!

Here's a video Widowmaker made of our scouting trip this spring in preparation for this run:

http://youtu.be/Z_fXLOHkfCA Cost:

There is no charge to attend this event.

However, If you're not a Michigan resident the only things you will need in order to use the trails is an ORV sticker and Sportsmans Card. The Sticker is $16.25 and the Sportsmans card is a whopping $1.00. These are available through the DNR website here: http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Welcome/Default.aspx or you can purchase them at most sporting good stores in Michigan. Please make sure you have your tag before Saturday Morning. There is only one shop on the island that sells these, Johnsons Sport Shop, and they close at 5 PM on friday and don't open until 10 on Saturday morning.

Getting To The Island

It's an island. There aren't any bridges connecting it to the mainland. In order to get on the island you will need to take the ferry that leaves Detour Village. The ferry schedule can be found here: http://www.drummondisland.com/travel/ I believe the cost of the ferry is $13.00 for a round trip ticket and each additional passenger other than the driver is $2.00.

Camping Information:

Traditionally we've spent the night in tents on this trip. We can set up camp anywhere along the trails as the State of Michigan allows camping anywhere in their state forests so long as we're a mile away from any established campground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 8.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	210001

The GPS Coordinates of camp are : N 45 59' 44" W 083 38' 39.1"

Camp is right off of Lincoln RD. Lincoln road intersects with the the main drag across the island, Johnsonwood RD, it's also the road the ferry will drop us off on.

The GPS Coordinates for the intersection of Johnsonwood Rd and Lincoln Rd are: N 45 59'17.7" w 083 41'39.9"

Camp should be a lot easier to get to this fall than it was last fall. Only a couple of turns and most of the way should be paved/ gravel if I remember correctly. Since it's not an established campground location you probably won't be able to rely on your GPS units to get you to camp. I'm thinking that after the first turn I will hang some glow sticks at any turns you would have to make in order to help people make it to camp. Please feel free to PM me or post if you have any questions.

Lodging information:

For anyone who would like to join in on the fun but would rather have the comforts of home at night, fellow forum member, Curtise, has set up a fantastic deal with the Drummond Island Resort. Their standard room rate is $155.00 a night. However, Curtise secured our group a rate of $89.00 a night which includes a fridge, microwave, and all of the standard hotel amenities. Curtise has a block of ten rooms set aside for the forum. The Resort would require one night in advance as a deposit (non-refundable after Sept 18th), the rest to be paid afterwards. The resorts contact information and address is listed below.

Drummond Island Resort & Conference Center
33494 S. Maxton Road
Drummond Island, MI 49726
(906) 493-1000
1-800-999-6343

Post up if you're interested in joining in on this trip and if you're planning on just joining in for a day, camping, or staying at the resort.

Attendees:

1. Warpedguy77 - Camping
2. Mark9998 - Camping
3. Widowmaker - Camping
4. Imposter_LRF - Resort
5. Icycle - Joining in for the day
6. Mwilterlink-
7. Conagher1851- Camping
8. WillyWonka - Camping
9. WMPhoto - Camping
10. Brother IKA - Camping
11. MuddenJeep - Camping
12. Rubiwhite- Camping
13. Jeepdoc - Camping
14. Mousepb - Camping
15. jk. bushwacker -
16. Curtise - Resort
17. Beau - Camping
18. Illflya - Camping
19. Rangell - Camping
20. Mscedro2 - Resort
21. Aptpupil - Camping
22. Strapped - Camping
23. Licinus - Camping
24. Bowerss2 - Camping
25. Buckshot - Resort
26. Jeep4life - Resort
27. JeepKidd - Camping
28. Mopar244 - Resort
29. WDE - Resort
30. Zero_Traction69 - Camping
31. Snowbrdr88 - Resort
32. Agtsunshine - Resort
33. Muffins - Camping
34. Strapped's Friend 1 - Camping
35. Strapped's Friend 2 - Camping
36. Strapped's Friend 3 - Camping
37. Gonzobongo
38. CJ That Went JK - Camping
39. Pcart-Camping
40. CanuckJK's Friend 1 With Jeep
41. CanuckJK's Friend 2 With Jeep
42. Racin444
43. Chip80

Maybe:

1. Itsarubiconday- Camping
2. NorthernMichiganJK
3. 2011JKer
4. SMevans
5. JKrubi07
6. Internski

Last edited by Warpedguy77; 09-26-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in for sure, just not sure when I can leave. That Sept 30 is the last day of my companies fiscal year and its always a mandatory day for us, but this gives me plenty of time to work on my boss!

Does anyone (or will anyone) want to stay at a hotel rather than camp? I dont mind camping just dont have any gear (yet) Maybe give me a good reason to finally get some camping gear!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mark9998
Does anyone (or will anyone) want to stay at a hotel rather than camp? I dont mind camping just dont have any gear (yet) Maybe give me a good reason to finally get some camping gear!
You'll miss out on quite a bit of fun at camp! First round of American Honey is always on me!

On a more serious note though, you'd be surprised how comfy you can make camp. A decent sized tent, a sturdy cot, and a warm comfy sleeping bag are really all you need. There really isn't anything much better than sitting around a campfire with old and new friends and looking up and seeing the ridiculous amount of stars in the night sky. I thought I had seen stars before spending some time in the UP.... boy was I flat out wrong.

Last edited by Warpedguy77; 06-29-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Put me down as a maybe! I'll know more when the date gets closer. I'll be driving from INDY...hmmm maybe I can convince some INDY peeps to convoy up?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to go because I need revenge on the rock that bent my LCA
Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ilflyya
Put me down as a maybe! I'll know more when the date gets closer. I'll be driving from INDY...hmmm maybe I can convince some INDY peeps to convoy up?
You can still meet us up in Portage at the Bass Pro! AAAAND you have to come! What was the point of all that time spent charting those trails if you don't?!

Last edited by Warpedguy77; 06-29-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wish i could make it. It'd be a long drive for me though. I liked the pics from the ferry last year.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rich1340
I wish i could make it. It'd be a long drive for me though. I liked the pics from the ferry last year.
Rich! How've you been bud?! Keep your eyes peeled for the Tucson trip were setting up this winter or you'll wake up to a bunch of jeeps and a tent village in your front yard!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just curious guys, do you plan to go to Turtle Ridge ORV park or only run the state trails on the east side of the island? Been there once but never made it to the park.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Junkie

For now I'll have to put my name in as a maybe, but definitely going to try and work it in.

Plus, if I go, that will make 3 wheeling trips planned for October

Quick Reply: Fall JK Forum Drummond Island Trip Saturday October 1st and Sunday October 2nd 2011