Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Feeler: Jeepers in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, basically the..

Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeler: Jeepers in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, basically the..

midwest.

Every year over labor day weekend my home town of Streator, Illinois has a car show called "Roamer Cruise Night." It usually turns out about 600 cars and about 18,000 people. Basically what happens is they rope off the entire downtown area and it is only open to people who enter their vehicle or as they are called "cruisers." All the businesses and bars also open their doors and people just hop from place to place all night. Its a real good time. For much of my early life it seemed that cruise night was for mostly old muscle cars. Over more recent years it seems there is more catering to the younger generation. Each year you are seeing more custom modern cars, lifted trucks, and chopped motor cycles. Now the reason I am mentioning all this is because out of all the years of attending the show I can't remember seeing any jeeps, so i am working with the group that puts on the event to try get a special spot reserved for jeeps. They do that for all the vets, and camaros, and mustangs so I figured why not the same thing for us. I figure it would take about 20 jeeps to justify the cause. No jeep would be too big or too small. On top of the night of cruising they have a large show the next day with awards and prizes. I am going to try to talk to some manufacturers, vendors, and dealerships to donate some items to draw some more jeeps in. Also, the cliffs off-road park is about 20 minutes from the location of the show so I am going to try to work out some reduced admission that weekend for jeeps entering the show.
There are plenty of bars, gentleman's clubs, stores, parks, and other stuff to see in the area as well. We could probably organize a trip to the badlands the next day as well seeing how it is only 2 - 3 hours away as well. Its only 5 bucks to enter your jeep into the show and there is no commitment now I am just trying to get a head count and if I am going to do this I want to get a good head start on it to have a good turn out. If you google "roamer cruise night" you can see what kinds of vehicles that will be there. Would any of you fellow JK-ers be interested?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
midwest.

Every year over labor day weekend my home town of Streator, Illinois has a car show called "Roamer Cruise Night." It usually turns out about 600 cars and about 18,000 people. Basically what happens is they rope off the entire downtown area and it is only open to people who enter their vehicle or as they are called "cruisers." All the businesses and bars also open their doors and people just hop from place to place all night. Its a real good time. For much of my early life it seemed that cruise night was for mostly old muscle cars. Over more recent years it seems there is more catering to the younger generation. Each year you are seeing more custom modern cars, lifted trucks, and chopped motor cycles. Now the reason I am mentioning all this is because out of all the years of attending the show I can't remember seeing any jeeps, so i am working with the group that puts on the event to try get a special spot reserved for jeeps. They do that for all the vets, and camaros, and mustangs so I figured why not the same thing for us. I figure it would take about 20 jeeps to justify the cause. No jeep would be too big or too small. On top of the night of cruising they have a large show the next day with awards and prizes. I am going to try to talk to some manufacturers, vendors, and dealerships to donate some items to draw some more jeeps in. Also, the cliffs off-road park is about 20 minutes from the location of the show so I am going to try to work out some reduced admission that weekend for jeeps entering the show.
There are plenty of bars, gentleman's clubs, stores, parks, and other stuff to see in the area as well. We could probably organize a trip to the badlands the next day as well seeing how it is only 2 - 3 hours away as well. Its only 5 bucks to enter your jeep into the show and there is no commitment now I am just trying to get a head count and if I am going to do this I want to get a good head start on it to have a good turn out. If you google "roamer cruise night" you can see what kinds of vehicles that will be there. Would any of you fellow JK-ers be interested?
As long as I'm not working count me in for sure. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm close to Streator and would be up for it. Is it usually family friendly?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcirate25
As long as I'm not working count me in for sure. Sounds like a lot of fun!
sweet. sitting at about 7 guys as of right now..

I should also mention that there is plenty of hotels in the remote area (anywhere from 5 to 40 minutes away from the show).... including one with an indoor water park thats pretty sweet.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NormalJeep
I'm close to Streator and would be up for it. Is it usually family friendly?
yep... extremely family friendly. its for the whole town.

I should also mention I am going to try to work things out with a bar i frequent for some food/drink deals there.. also see if they might let us take over their parking lot. maybe set up a ramp for everyone to flex on or something.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump alert!

As i start talking to more dealers, vendors, and what not i will be posting some of the prizes I get to raffle off.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump to the top!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

this is where the trail run would be.

http://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com/

Last edited by dburgette; 04-08-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I might be able to make it down there for awhile put me down as a major maybe!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a pretty cool thing you are planning.

You're such a Community organizer!

Quick Reply: Feeler: Jeepers in Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, basically the..