Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Regear - Trail City 4X4 Mt. Vernon, OH?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regear - Trail City 4X4 Mt. Vernon, OH?

I'm looking into a regear on my JK. The closest 4X4 shop is Trail City 4X4 in Mt. Vernon, OH. Do any of you have experience with them?
How about other shops in north central Ohio? I've searched and read about the guy in Salem but he's a little far away.
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

if you are willing to drive over to fortwayne indiana you can get a great deal and good work. get bent customs does a great job i drove 4 hours to get there and have mine done. they are way cheaper than the other shops as well. your looking at about 350 for both front and rear install and they know what there doing. pm me and i will give you there number if your interested. i know 5 people that had them done there and they will do your sleeves and gussets as well if you want.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would try to go to Get Bent. Great guys. I will be going up there for some Kustom work.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

I'm about 3.5 hrs from Ft. Wayne. Does a regear take all day (i.e. 8 hrs)? I'm not sure what I'd do in Ft. Wayne while my JK was in the shop. That does sound like a helluva deal, though.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

They work out of a 2 car garage. It takes all day but doesn't seem bad if you just hang out with them while they do it.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Topper and Seth are top notch! he also does rock rails and stingers and sliders, bumpers and roll cages just hang out and learn a little about how your rig is put together
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

def hang out and learn some good info, if anything you will know how to change out a axle if you break one. it will take from about 9 to 5 or 6 prob. you should do sleeves and c's at the same time. you will need the install kits gears and two inner axle seals. they will take care of the rest.

the great thing about driving that far is you can take a big chunk out of the break in period right away lol.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by codysanders
def hang out and learn some good info, if anything you will know how to change out a axle if you break one. it will take from about 9 to 5 or 6 prob. you should do sleeves and c's at the same time. you will need the install kits gears and two inner axle seals. they will take care of the rest.

the great thing about driving that far is you can take a big chunk out of the break in period right away lol.
Seriously, isn't the break in supposed to be easy, short trips to avoid overheating?
I will also need a new front carrier because I have 3.21s and the Dana 30. Anyway, I'm still thinking about it. I really hoped to get an opinion on my local shop. Their website specifically mentions Wrangler regearing.

h ttp://trailcity4x4.com
Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

it does require that. i drove no more than 40 miles and stopped for 20 to 30 min every time all the way home. only made a 4 hour trip last 7 hours but i got her half way there in one drive home. hardtrails was a great buddy and kept telling me to wake back up when i fell asleep.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

As much as I appreciated all the suggestions to go over to Ft. Wayne for my gear job, I decided to stay local after talking to the guy at my local shop and getting a good idea of his experience level, etc. As it turns out, I'm really glad I stayed local.

When he took the rear end apart, he found that the old pinion and the yoke had the splines rounded over on one end. Apparently this was a defect from the factory because the rear end had never been apart. Ray at Trail City didn't want to put the old yoke back on the new pinion because it would damage the splines. He got the local Jeep dealer involved and got me a new yoke under warranty. Unfortunately, it took 6 days to get the yoke in so my JK sat at the shop all that time waiting to be put back together.

If I'd have went out of town, I'd have had to rent a car to drive home and then went went back over to get my jeep after the yoke came in. I'm even more impressed with Trail City after this. I saw the old parts and he could easily have put the old yoke back on and I never would have known. Maybe it would have lasted a long time that way (21K miles on the old setup) but I'm glad to know the job was done right.

And these 4.88 gears! Damn! Jeep should really just forget about the 3.21 gear ratio completely.

Last edited by byorchard; 12-17-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Regear - Trail City 4X4 Mt. Vernon, OH?