Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

So How Many People Have You Pulled Out Of Ditches So Far This Year?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i only have 2 so far with the start of snow, one guy went into a wall and bounced around a little but we got em home and as far as people sueing it does happen but i was always taught to inform the person with the stuck vehicle that you are not liable for any damage and if they want a liable person they will prolly be waiting for about and hour or two for one at least out here and i always have them hook it up and i just give my opinion as to where to hook it up if it was me. what ever it takes to cover your own A%& and help some one out
Old 12-25-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Last week I helped out a county sheriff out. He had stopped a vehicle and after the traffic stop, he could not get out of the snow bank on the side of the freeway. I stopped, backed up and pulled him out. I thought that was pretty cool.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Theres no freakin snow! I'm just north of Grand Rapids, MI and there is no f*^#king snow! Well, about 3 inches on the ground, but now the weather guy is calling for mid 40's all weekend! I, like most Jeepers look forward to the winter, and in west michigan, of all places, there is no snow. .. .

Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by speed2005
Aren’t you afraid of being sued for some kind of damage to the other vehicle?
Someone sues me for pulling them out... I'm crawling their vehicle... Sue that.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

got another rescue last night driving home around 11:00 pm and i see this kid trying to get ouf of this small park parking lot that they dont plow... so it was all rutted up and in the ruts was solid ice. needless to say he was in a POS car and i stop and ask him you need help bud he was like yeah i think i might need some... so i went into the ditch in the deep snow and came around him while watching his jaw drop and notice he had is gf in the car also gave her a big smile she was pretty cute .... i proceded to pull him backwards to see if he can get a running start to get out...told him to put it in 1st gear and hit the gas steady...got stuck again after another shot at it i said screw this i am pulling the car front the front hooked the tow strap to the front where i though it was going to actually rip the bumper off put jeep in 4x4 and just let it idle him out...Kid gave me 10 bucks though
Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a jerk or anything but I wont pull anyone out who doesnt have a properly installed recovery point. Not worth the risk of damaging there stuff or getting hurt. I wouldnt even risk damaging my tree strap.

Oh and to add to the discussion regarding tow strap vs winch, I always use my winch when I have a choice. Of course I have a synthetic winch line which makes using a winch a heck of a lot easier.

Last edited by Olean NY Jeeper; 12-28-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Oh and to add to the discussion regarding tow strap vs winch, I always use my winch when I have a choice. Of course I have a synthetic winch line which makes using a winch a heck of a lot easier.
Question, I get how to tow someone out and how to use a winch to get myself out but best way to use winch to get someone else out? Level ground only? what if they are down a bit of a ditch?

Quick Reply: So How Many People Have You Pulled Out Of Ditches So Far This Year?