Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Yo Chicagoland JK'ers, Lift Kit advice needed!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dex1
When I was buying my JK, I asked my dealer point blank..... Will you honor the warrenty if..... told him my plans and he said......
Whatever is left stock will be covered....... So I put on 3" lift, 35" tires, and go wheeling and snap an axle!!!!! (Badlands Aug. '09) and my dealer says... No problem!!!!

I think allot of guys have the wrong impression and also let the dealer push them around.... It is fact that any un-modified part is still covered under warrenty...
Bigger tires, lift kits, gears, etc.... will not void the warrenty... they just don't cover those items.
^^^^^^^^^^^^Yeah, what he said^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, Alt Phil, I'm real sorry to hear about the dealings you have had with you're dealership! That really sucks they have to be that way..

I've been really fortunate with my dealer, but I did talk to them BEFORE I signed on the bottom line...
I explained to them my plans for my jeep and they told me that they would stand behind any un-modified part ....

I really don't know what to tell you other than at the very least, you should start going to a different dealer, explain to them whats been going on, and see if there is any thing they can help you with...

I really don't think anybody here is slamming you, It's a real painful story for you and we all stand behind you and hope you can get this thing resolved... (we are all doing something we love and we all should support each other whenever possible)

Good luck with all the crap you have to put up with, and I really hope you can get some results from another dealer....
Old 03-18-2010, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by alt_phil
Generally, dealerships handle it like this...

If you get their recommended lift kit AND let the dealership install said lift kit... then they will warranty their own work.

Other dealerships will likely not.

However, bigger tires will still cancel much of your warranty regardless.

Good luck. My dealership is one of those bad-ones that are crooked as heck when it comes to warranty work.

WOW! You guys really need to read the Magnuson moss warranty act. it states in short that installing aftermarket parts on a warranteed vehicle will not void the warranty. only the part you replace will not be covered even gears. if you install aftermarket gears and break an axle it is still warranteed. only the ring and pinion will not be covered. and The Federal law says that they have to cover it. they might not like it but the will have to cover it. and the parts dont have to be installed at a dealership. Do some Homework guys! dont let the stealerships Bully you !!!!!!!!!

Hey Alt, how about you call an attorney that deals with warranty issues. free consultation. Krohn and Moss in Chicago.

then have a polite talk with your service manager and ask them if they are familiar with the Magnuson Moss warranty Act. now before you do anything look it up online and read it ALL of it. then have some fun. tell them that you are going to sue them for Breech of contract. and present them with a copy of this Federal law. and watch their face Go white while there little brains scramble to catch up to their rapidly dropping jaw. Your dealership has No other choice but to repair under warranty such Items that the warranty says are covered by the Manufacturer. you might have to get knee deep in it but in the end they will replace it!! Federal law says that the HAVE TO!!!!!

Dealerships dont like warranty work because it only pays Half of book rate. ( no money in it )

Last edited by woodweavil; 03-18-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by woodweavil
WOW! You guys really need to read the Magnuson moss warranty act. it states in short that installing aftermarket parts on a warranteed vehicle will not void the warranty. only the part you replace will not be covered even gears. if you install aftermarket gears and break an axle it is still warranteed. only the ring and pinion will not be covered. and The Federal law says that they have to cover it. they might not like it but the will have to cover it. and the parts dont have to be installed at a dealership. Do some Homework guys! dont let the stealerships Bully you !!!!!!!!!
Since this is my original thread...

I'm installing a Teraflex Leveling Kit. Fields Chrysler/Jeep in Northfield, Illinois Approved! !! Also, I did tons of research on Magnuson law, and the Dealership confirmed that they would honor the parts that were not changed.

And since , I will post pics when I got it installed on March 29th (And I'm doing this by myself... with the help of a Union Mechanic! Diesel Mechanic, but still )

- Here's to the Badlands! See ya guys there! I'll still be running 96% stock, though.. It's a "slow build"...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeamsterOwl
Since this is my original thread...

I'm installing a Teraflex Leveling Kit. Fields Chrysler/Jeep in Northfield, Illinois Approved! !! Also, I did tons of research on Magnuson law, and the Dealership confirmed that they would honor the parts that were not changed.

And since , I will post pics when I got it installed on March 29th (And I'm doing this by myself... with the help of a Union Mechanic! Diesel Mechanic, but still )

- Here's to the Badlands! See ya guys there! I'll still be running 96% stock, though.. It's a "slow build"...
KUDOS Bro Tera flex is Top Notch. and good luck. Buster

Quick Reply: Yo Chicagoland JK'ers, Lift Kit advice needed!