Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

.22 ammo?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default .22 ammo?

Hubbo just bought me a .22 walther handgun for playing with at the range... can anyone recommend a cheap source for ammo? I go thru alot and its getting expensive.... I bought some cheaper stuff at wal mart but it was smokey and I didn't like that...any suggestions? I have heard that CCI Blazer is a good plinking/target ammo?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have pretty good luck with the CCI Blazer or Winchester Wildcat. They are priced about the same, at the low end of .22 LR ammo. Try several brands and see what the gun likes, almost all .22 ammo will be dirty. We have a Buckmark that will run on Winchester all day long and a Ruger that hates the stuff. Both will run on Blazer ammo though. I've a S&W Model 41 that will only function on CCI Standard Velocity. You will have to try out ammo and find the one your gun really likes. I see this all the time at the range, people curse their gun because of constant malfunctions but they won't go out and buy 5 or 6 kinds of ammo and see what will make the gun run. Our Ruger pretty much hates anything but the Blazers. Other Ruger's will shoot most anything. You never know until you try some out. Hope this helps. If you find something your gun likes, do what I do and buy a case of 5000 rounds. You'll save a few bucks and have plenty of ammo that you know your gun likes.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

ok so where would one buy a case of 5000 rounds? The most I have found is at Sportsman guide 2500 rounds of the CCI mini mag- which I really like and my gun seems to like....its even at a great price!!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKGirl
ok so where would one buy a case of 5000 rounds? The most I have found is at Sportsman guide 2500 rounds of the CCI mini mag- which I really like and my gun seems to like....its even at a great price!!
Ammunition is the only big drawback for having fun with .22s. There is nothing more finicky to ammo than a rimfire. I have .22 revolvers that display definite preferences in ammo. Firearms preference is one problem, cost is the other. .22s are cheap, compared to centerfire cartridges, $2.25 a box of 50 isn't hard to find, and if you look you can do better. You just have to find the brand your gun likes, then find them at a price you like. Shopping on line will get you a good price, right up until the add shipping in. They don't call a block of 500 a 'brick' cause it sounds cute. A local shop, or the value packs at Wal Mart may just end up being you best option.

If you are happy with Sportsmans Guide's price, be sure of the shipping then buy 2. Sometimes you just can't win, .22s don't cooperate.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been extremely happy with the CCI Stingers and they place a good kicking on gophers, beavers and grouse.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

you can do searches on the web and find bulk 22 rounds for pretty good prices. I saw 5000rds for less than $200 the other day. I can't seem to find it again, but you just have to spend some time searching.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

thanks guys for all the advice!!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKGirl
I just go to my local reputable gun shop and have him order me a case when I need it. The Standard Velocity stuff is used by almost all bullseye shooters, so he keeps that in stock. Last case I bought cost about $150 for 5000 rounds of Blazer, Winchester was around $165. This is about $15-$17 a brick. You must have a local gun shop who can fix you up. If you are shooting at a range, just ask the folks there where they do business, they'll be glad to help with the info. Gun folk tend to be very sharing with their information and are always glad to help out.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I shoot a Walther P22 with a Gemtec suppressor and use the manufacturers (Gemtec's) recommended ammunition, which is CCI Subsonic HP (40 grain / 1050 fps). The unfortunate thing is that this ammo is not the cheapest thing out there. The boxes I have aren't labeled with the price, but I think I paid about $7.00 per box of 100 rounds. But, compared to running .308 ($550.00 per 1000 rounds) at about 650 rounds per minute, it's rather cheap.
Although, I can't recommend a cheap .22 ammo, I can say that the CCI Subsonic HP works very well when combined with the Walther P22. No doubt that you should try out numerous ammo types before buying a "brick".
If you ever decide to add any options, check out the green laser from Viridian. Much more visable during the day than any red laser on the market. Also, shooting with a suppressor adds a whole new level to your shooting pleasure. I take mine on jeep outings and let everyone pop a few.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:57 AM
JK Freak

Yep- I found that I really like the CCI mini mag for my gun- its not the cheapest but the other stuff is smokey...ick. But really I have graduated to a 9mm... yeah!!!! so re loads for that are my best bet... hubbo is getting a reloading kit for Christmas.... I can't believe how much different it is to shoot a .22 to a 9mm...I know your probably thinking- duh!! of course its different....but remember I am a girl!!! Its just so much fun!!!!!!

Quick Reply: .22 ammo?