Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Anyone know anything about Chromoly Barrels?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about Chromoly Barrels?

Does anyone have a rough guess of when one is "Shot Out"? Its a Bushmaster AR-15 in cal. 223. It has roughly 2500 rounds through it. Just looking for some input.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Depends on what kind of ammo was used and how it was cared for. If quality ammo was shot and the gun is well taken care of then I wouldn't see any problem with it. Beware of lacquer covered steel cased ammo! Lacquer melts and destroys the chamber.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends, is it a match rifle? Is it chrome lined? If its a non chrome lined you should be about half way through its life, about 5000 rounds from what I can remember. Chrome lined barrels are supposed to last about 10,000 rounds. Thats for a rack grade rifle not a match rifle. For match or varminter barrel the round counts will likely be considerably less.

Rob
Old 11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dude, only 2,500 rounds??? People are telling you you're already "half-way" through your barrel life? WOW. Sriously... WOW.

Do me a favor and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look elsewhere before making any significant monetary decisions. I just took a carbine class during which we fired 2,000 rounds in one weekend. So according to certain members on this forum I must need a new barrel. Uhhh... No... I don't...

Even bottom of the line Shrubmeisters have barrels that last into the 30,000 round range (yes that comma is correctly placed).

If it has about 2,500 rounds through it, you've barely broken it in.

Should I even mention our patrol M4's get shot full-auto EVERY DAY at our range quals and their barrels aren't shot out.

Barrel life does NOT rely SOLELY on round count. Barrel life depends on what type of ammo and how well the barrel is taken care of. Are you shooting extremely fast varmit loads? Are you shooting high-grade match ammo? Are you shooting shitty wolf ammo? Are you shooting home-tinkered reloads? The faster the ammo, the shorter the barrel life. Better quality ammo generally means longer barrel life. Shitty wolf ammo is well... shitty.

How well has the barrel been taken care of? Is it cleaned after every range trip? Is it cleaned every presidential election cycle? Or is it cleaned after every round passed through it?

Over cleaning and under cleaning can reduce barrel life.

The best way to test barrel life is to shoot it. Bench the rifle, steady your weapon system as best you can. Shoot for groups at 50 yards. Are your bullet holes touching each other? No need for a new barrel. Are you aiming at center mass but have a "shotgun" pattern on your target? Then either you suck at shooting or your barrel is shot out. Chances are, after only 2,500 rounds it's not the gun.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chromemoly is 4130 carbon steel very hard and very tough. Agree with the previous post.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JeepApex
Dude, only 2,500 rounds??? People are telling you you're already "half-way" through your barrel life? WOW. Sriously... WOW.

Do me a favor and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look elsewhere before making any significant monetary decisions. I just took a carbine class during which we fired 2,000 rounds in one weekend. So according to certain members on this forum I must need a new barrel. Uhhh... No... I don't...

Even bottom of the line Shrubmeisters have barrels that last into the 30,000 round range (yes that comma is correctly placed).

If it has about 2,500 rounds through it, you've barely broken it in.

Should I even mention our patrol M4's get shot full-auto EVERY DAY at our range quals and their barrels aren't shot out.

Barrel life does NOT rely SOLELY on round count. Barrel life depends on what type of ammo and how well the barrel is taken care of. Are you shooting extremely fast varmit loads? Are you shooting high-grade match ammo? Are you shooting shitty wolf ammo? Are you shooting home-tinkered reloads? The faster the ammo, the shorter the barrel life. Better quality ammo generally means longer barrel life. Shitty wolf ammo is well... shitty.

How well has the barrel been taken care of? Is it cleaned after every range trip? Is it cleaned every presidential election cycle? Or is it cleaned after every round passed through it?

Over cleaning and under cleaning can reduce barrel life.

The best way to test barrel life is to shoot it. Bench the rifle, steady your weapon system as best you can. Shoot for groups at 50 yards. Are your bullet holes touching each other? No need for a new barrel. Are you aiming at center mass but have a "shotgun" pattern on your target? Then either you suck at shooting or your barrel is shot out. Chances are, after only 2,500 rounds it's not the gun.
Thank you very much. One of my friends had mentioned that I have about a 5,000 round limit until I start to notice differences in grouping. I've been shooting Reloaded Lake City ammo. I appreciate your input greatly thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about Chromoly Barrels?