Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.
View Poll Results: Best 1911
Colt
17.74%
Nighthawk
3.23%
Ed Brown
4.44%
Wilson Combat
10.08%
Kimber
25.40%
Springfield Armory
22.18%
Para Ordance
1.61%
S&W
1.61%
Les Baer
4.44%
Other
9.27%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Best 1911?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonetoshoot
WOW!!! That's a pretty bold statement. 1911's are finicky guns that need lots of TLC to keep functioning. You can't let dirt, lint, etc build up in them like a glock and still expect it to function. Most production 1911's need some fine tuning to make them reliable for self defense. I shoot 20,000 plus rounds through my 1911's, 2011, and Glock's in a year for USPSA practice and matches, SWAT training, and as one of my department's firearm's instructors. I am also a 1911 armorer. I spend a fair amount of time "behind my gun's" shooting on a weekly basis, and tuning officer's 1911's. All 1911's need a break in period. So here is my take on Kimber....They make a fine gun. Some of their lines are better than others. As I stated before, stay away from Kimber's series 80 guns, the schwartz firing pin safety is not reliable. Kimber, as a company, blew up fast. Their product was in high demand, so they needed to increase production. In doing so their quality control took a dump.
Agree with most of this statement, I don't use my Kimber for home protection. I have a Benelli Super 90 for that. I still think the best gun out there always gets beat on. If someone had problems with a Taurus everyone would expect it to be garbage so why write about it? Still think Kimber is the best "1911" out there all around. I respect the differences of opinion but sight picture, safety placement, and overall craftsmanship I love them!

So ever been to Front Sight, I'm headed there this spring for a friends 40th Birthday party he's a lifetime member. Lucky Mev
Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KCFIRE187
So ever been to Front Sight, I'm headed there this spring for a friends 40th Birthday party he's a lifetime member. Lucky Mev
I have never been to Front Sight, but have heard great things about them. When I lived in AZ I spent some time at Gunsight and I recently took the advanced sniper/observer course through Countermeasures Tactical Institute. I am hoping to give my 1911 a workout at Thunder Ranch this summer. Clint is a 1911 master.

Back on topic....I gave it some more though and out of the three custom builders guns I have shot (Wilson, Nighthawk, and Les Baer), and if I had unlimited funds I would spend it with Les Baer. Smoothest functioning most accurate pistol I have ever shot

Last edited by gonetoshoot; 01-12-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yetibear
But the gun maker, Springfield Armory, is out of Geneseo, Illinois. Except for the name, there is no connection between the two. S&W is still in Springfield, so you must have ment to say- "buy a S&W."
The Springfield Armory in Illinois is actually called Springfield, Inc. They are generally known by Springfield Armory as well. The Springfield Armory I was thinking of and talking about was the 200+ year old place that built muskets and rifles such as the 1903 Springfield and M1. Those were built in Mass from the Springfield Armory.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Strange, Springfield Armory in your backyard? I have a Springfield Champion 1911 and the frame is stamped "Brazil". I customized it myself a few years ago. Fitted a match bushing, full length guide rod, Wilson combat trigger and hammer, Ed Brown beavertail, Wilson extended slide release and safety, flat mainspring housing, polished the ramp, and made my grips from birdseye maple. As long as I use good mags, one of the best guns I've got. Been qualifying with it since 1996.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by txspud
Strange, Springfield Armory in your backyard? I have a Springfield Champion 1911 and the frame is stamped "Brazil".

It depends on which model you get. Only some have parts made in Brazil.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OffTopic
It depends on which model you get. Only some have parts made in Brazil.
I believe mine said Croatia.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

A part is like a bushing, pin or safety catch. The Brazil and Croatia stampings are on the frame of the gun. The frame in not a part, its the heart of the gun. In other words, "Made in Brazil" or "Made in Croatia", Headquarter's USA. Getting more and more common these days. Some Sigs have the slide made in USA and the frame in Germany. It's considered a gun made in Germany. The slide is what is serial numbered. You can buy a slide mail order. You can only buy a frame through a licensed dealer. Don't think this means anything to the original post, just clarifying.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Got it backwards, the frame is serial numbered, not the slide.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some manufacturers are now stamping the serial number on the frame, slide and Barrel. For Example my SA XDm and XD Sub compact both have serail numbers in all 3 places...
Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

thanks for all the input. i'm finishing grad school in Dec. 09 and i've decided that i'm going to reward myself with a nice 1911. i'm seriously looking at Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and Nighthawk. i'm not sure if i can bring myself to drop $2500-3000 when the time comes eventhough it's still less than 1 semester of tuition

i'm still considering a Colt or Kimber if someone can convince me that the extra $1000 for a custom pistol isn't worth the money.

Quick Reply: Best 1911?