Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

bow hunters

Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dex1, nice looking rack
Good luck this season
Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 24 y/o daughter called me up last week....all excited.............."Guess what Dad? I took 2nd place in the bow shoot last night!"

Makes a Daddy proud!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bluerubicon08
My 24 y/o daughter called me up last week....all excited.............."Guess what Dad? I took 2nd place in the bow shoot last night!"

Makes a Daddy proud!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Cool...!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

Default Bow Hunting Newbie

I'm looking to get into bow hunting, I always wanted to, but was never able to pursue until now. I used to shoot bow as a kid, and shot a borrowed a Bear compound...

Anyway, I am looking to get a Bow, and have no idea where to start... any suggestions on starter kit? What brand of bows etc? I'm 5'10" 215lbs... what weight draw should I get?

We have a Cabella's nearby, I was going to head over there to see what they have.

Any Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drcre8tive
I'm looking to get into bow hunting, I always wanted to, but was never able to pursue until now. I used to shoot bow as a kid, and shot a borrowed a Bear compound...

Anyway, I am looking to get a Bow, and have no idea where to start... any suggestions on starter kit? What brand of bows etc? I'm 5'10" 215lbs... what weight draw should I get?

We have a Cabella's nearby, I was going to head over there to see what they have.

Any Suggestions? Thanks.
I've been bow hunting most my life, and am an archery instructor (just to let you know my background),,,
I suggest you go to a reputable pro shop, the Cabelas of the world are ok if you don't have anything better to do, but a good archery pro shop will make sure you are "fit" with the right draw length, poundage, and accessories to get you shooting the proper way and with the proper equipment so you start out on the right foot.... and will stand behind their work so if you have any issues at all, you have someone who will fix it and not just hand you off to someone else... Plus you start a relationship with someone who will be around down the road and not a new face everytime you go to the shop!!!!
And be cautious that they are not trying to sell you stuff you really don't need and if they are, go someplace else!!! that is a sign of less than professional actions as a pro shop!!!
I shoot Mathews bows, have since the mid '90s! so I am biased! there is alot of good stuff out there, the important thing is that the equipment fits you properly and you are comfortable with it!!!
Have fun, and shoot straight.........
Old 10-06-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ontario Bull Moose downed by my huntin partner Jerome Atkins on Sept. 23/2009

47 inch rack...........1200 pounds.

Now its Deer season

Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SwampRunner
Ontario Bull Moose downed by my huntin partner Jerome Atkins on Sept. 23/2009

47 inch rack...........1200 pounds.

Now its Deer season

Congrats on the bull but........OMG He died in the water.....!!! Other than a wounded moose getting away, that is THE worst thing that could happen to a moose hunter. I've let so many moose go (last one was a 60"er) because I refuse to kill one in, or where he could die in a swamp or the water. What a mess. I realize that's not always easy to do for a bow hunter. I don't envy you that chore. By any chance were you able to pull him out with something so you could work on him? Hope you were able to save all the meat.
Congrats again and All the Best from Alaska...!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jerome took this Bull at 15 yards, the bull was standing in 3 feet of water. Where you see the bull in the water is our canoe ramp 30 yards from camp. I called this bull in from the opposite side of the lake where we camp. He was only 75 yards from our tent!

I agree on the swamp part but in northern Ontario you can not go three feet without falling in a lake or a swamp. Every Bull we have taken has been transported through a swamp to get the out, always quartered. This was the first bull we got back to camp in one piece.

The shot was a double Lung / Heart and he was only alive for less than 30 seconds after the hit. He only made it 40 yards out when he expired.

Alaska................I would love to hunt Moose there...................1500 pound animals.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

A few more pics,

You can see us in the fog rope his rack to the canoe. On the right side of the picture is where the bull came to Jerome around the point.

This is us paddling back to the ramp.

Used my Rubi to pull it out of the water when it got sallow.

125 Snuffer right through the heart.

The ramp is about 20 yards behind me in the picture.

6 guys shared 540 pounds bone out of the best meat you can get in Canada!

Bob
Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

And....................................we had fun with the JK too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Ly6VaM-po

Quick Reply: bow hunters