Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

conceal carry etiquette - cops help here

Old 05-17-2008, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
The best thing to do to prevent any issues is to casually have your hands on your steering wheel when the cop walks up to the window. When the Officer is done with whatever he/she says to you, say, "Officer, I have a CCW and I have a gun in the car." Don't move your hands when you say this, wait for the Officer's instructions on what to do, then follow them carefully.
X3. I would also add that it might be a good idea to have your CCW permit in hand with your drivers license.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
The best thing to do to prevent any issues is to casually have your hands on your steering wheel when the cop walks up to the window. When the Officer is done with whatever he/she says to you, say, "Officer, I have a CCW and I have a gun in the car." Don't move your hands when you say this, wait for the Officer's instructions on what to do, then follow them carefully.

In Michigan, a CCW class is a requirement for application for a license. In the class, what Ctimrun says to do is taught as being the ONLY proper means of informing the officer that you are carrying. Of course, the instructor for my class was a police officer who'd actually been in a shootout with 3 passengers during a traffic stop and is probably teaching what he believes should be the proper procedure! But it sounds like pretty solid advice to me regadless.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only been stopped once while carrying. The officer stopped me because I had a clear plastic cover over my licence plate. Told me it was illegal. Asked to see my licence and proof of insurance. I gave both to him along with my CCW, and I was getting the CCW out he saw my military retired ID. He asked If I had a weapon, to which I said yes, and loaded, but nothing in the chamber. Asked how long I had been in the military. Asked what I was carrying, I told him a S.A. 1911A1 .45cal Champion, he laughed and said that's a stopper. Gave me everything back and told me I should take the plate cover off so I don't get anymore of these hassle stops.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Having been on both sides of this topic, as an LEO and a person with a CCW I think the safest thing to do when stopped is:

1. keep hands visible
2. verbalize your CCW and any possession of a firearm
3. ask permission to move hands and get documents.
4. if you get asked to step out of the vehicle, do so
5. if the cop is unprofessional, make the complaint later

remember theres a big difference between professional and rude.

In PA, I would like to think that if some offers the fact they have a CCW that it would allow the officer some minor peice of mind. Even if it is easy to get a CCW in PA, there are still a number hoops to jump through including an state and local records check. Knowing someone is generally law abiding makes it a tad easier on the mind of the cop.

Story, While returning from VA beach on a Sunday morning, I was pulled over on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel at 7 am. I had been shooting with a friend at a range that weekend. Had every firearm I owned with me in the rear of my Jeep. Unloaded, broken down, with no ammo in the vehicle and all with locks on triggers, but enclosed in canvas bags, so there was like 8 or so weapons with hand guns, rifles and shotguns.

He was so consumed with quickly writing me a ticket, he allowed me no time to offer this information. He should have made the same general inquiry I used to make, "are there any weapons in the vehicle?"Not a smart man if you ask me....
Old 05-17-2008, 11:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lorrel
I've only been stopped once while carrying. The officer stopped me because I had a clear plastic cover over my licence plate. Told me it was illegal. Asked to see my licence and proof of insurance. I gave both to him along with my CCW, and I was getting the CCW out he saw my military retired ID. He asked If I had a weapon, to which I said yes, and loaded, but nothing in the chamber. Asked how long I had been in the military. Asked what I was carrying, I told him a S.A. 1911A1 .45cal Champion, he laughed and said that's a stopper. Gave me everything back and told me I should take the plate cover off so I don't get anymore of these hassle stops.
Why carry with nothing in the chamber, let alone call it loaded? ALWAYS carry with one in the pipe or it is useless. A Springfield XD-45 compact is my carry weapon and its always ready to go with one in the chamber!

As for the original question, I just hand the officer my DL and CHL, and inform him that my weapon is on my hip. I've only had one encounter with the police since getting my CHL in Texas and I was the one who called them to begin with. Needless to say it went without any problems.

Last edited by SH0RTBUS; 05-17-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not to keep "beating this horse", but...
If carrying, I present my DL and CCW.
Hands on the wheel with the window down and interior light(s) on, signals to the officer you are not a threat!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pagoda
Having been on both sides of this topic, as an LEO and a person with a CCW I think the safest thing to do when stopped is:

1. keep hands visible
2. verbalize your CCW and any possession of a firearm
3. ask permission to move hands and get documents.
4. if you get asked to step out of the vehicle, do so
5. if the cop is unprofessional, make the complaint later

remember theres a big difference between professional and rude.

In PA, I would like to think that if some offers the fact they have a CCW that it would allow the officer some minor peice of mind. Even if it is easy to get a CCW in PA, there are still a number hoops to jump through including an state and local records check. Knowing someone is generally law abiding makes it a tad easier on the mind of the cop.

Story, While returning from VA beach on a Sunday morning, I was pulled over on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel at 7 am. I had been shooting with a friend at a range that weekend. Had every firearm I owned with me in the rear of my Jeep. Unloaded, broken down, with no ammo in the vehicle and all with locks on triggers, but enclosed in canvas bags, so there was like 8 or so weapons with hand guns, rifles and shotguns.

He was so consumed with quickly writing me a ticket, he allowed me no time to offer this information. He should have made the same general inquiry I used to make, "are there any weapons in the vehicle?"Not a smart man if you ask me....

I dont think it is necessary to ask every person on a traffic stop if they have weapons in the vehicle. Chances are if they have bad intentions they are not going to answer the question honestly to begin with. Also in some states, like NM, you do not need a permit to carry a firearm in your vehicle since it is considered an extension of your home.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the OP, You live in GA. There is no requirement to notify LEO.

In many cases it becomes a larger problem if you do. I certainly wont submit to a search for just a traffic violation for sure, but then again I try not to get pulled over to begin with.

I am not a lawyer. You do what you feel is appropriate hwoever.

For you GA residents:

www.georgiacarry.com and georgiapacking.org
Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wisconsin

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
Wish I had a CCW! Stupid California.
x2, but Stupid Wisconsin...

I have a permit for thirty states, but my home state is not one of them! Us and Illinois, we have to get with the times!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i keep my hands on the wheel, at night i turn the interior lights on, inform him that my pistol is (wherever i'm carrying, sometimes center console, someitmes on person) and ask permission every time i need to reach for something.
That is EXACTLY how my instructor told us to handle the situation and I have done it 2 times in the 9 years I have carried. Both times the troopers thanked me for handling it the right way.

Quick Reply: conceal carry etiquette - cops help here