Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

conceal carry etiquette - cops help here

Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
The SUPREME COURT decided in a case that origionated from CALIFoRNICATION your automobile is an extension of your home, therefore u do not need a permit to carry concealed or open in your automobile.
You are absolutely, posititively 100% correctomundo....as they probably say in Califormexico.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also in Georgia, you are not even required to have a permit to carry concealed or otherwise. It is just better to have one.
You mean in a vehicle correct?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yetibear
if it is unloaded and in a case there is no need to bring it up. If he asks, and you are not in NY, NJ, Mass tell him the truth.

And, in your travels, remember, a SINGLE hollow point bullet(no gun necessary), in your possession, in New Jersey is a felony.
NJ and you, Martial law everyday!
Dont miss that crap!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie

In texas, you are not required to have a permit to carry a concealed firearm in your vehicle. All handguns must be concealed though.

You cannot, however, carry said firearm in your vehicle if you are:
a felon
known criminal street gang member
under a protective order
underage
or engaged in a criminal activity other than a traffic violation.

A CHL is required to carry a handgun outside of your vehicle iif you are not at youre home or your destination where you may carry said weapon. You may not, for instance carry into a store, mall, restaurant, etc. without a CHL.

Obviously, the usual schools, courthouses, government buildings, etc., are off limits unless you hold an active commission as a peace officer.

This law went into effect shortly after I was arrested for my wife's back up duty weapon being under the seat. I got a fine, probation, and they destroyed her gun....even though it had been registered at her Dept as a duty weapon for many years. She had driven my Jeep last, and had not yet removed it.

Long Guns may be readily displayed (ie, a gun rack), but if some one is alarmed by it, a disorderly conduct ticket is a possibility if they choose to press charges. Most courts, though, will throw it out. It depends on where you are.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Autorotate
You mean in a vehicle correct?
https://dklbweb.dekalbga.org/courts/probate/pistol.htm
Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, I know the laws, I was clarifing that you meant without a GFL you could carry in a car anywhere open or concealed and not while out of your car out and about.

In which case you do indeed require a GFL.

Benmar2000. That code you quoted has since been update on July 1st when HB 89 was passed. Amoung other things it has changed that section of code to allow you to carry anywhere in your vehicle if you meet the requirements to obtain a GFL whether you have one or not.

If you are a GA resident I recommend checking out georgiacarry.org or georgiapacking.org for great weapon code information.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

A little known, seldom talked about caveat to the GA law is that an active duty military ID card serves as a permit to carry a concealed weapon in GA...not on post but "out and about." Now, the question would be is if GA recognizes it as a concealed carry permit would any state with a reciprocal agreement with GA would also recognize it as a valid CCW???
Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Brian,

Here in California if a person is on active duty and in uniform on duty, they can carry what they want. There isn't a law against it...nor should be!!!.

To the people who live in NJ and Mass.....When Pres. Bush signed the law that allows Active duty peace officers to carry anywhere in the U.S. and territories, have the legislatures in thise states say something different? I am asking cuz I just don't know and do know they have some very restrictive handgun laws.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in response to the OP, in oklahoma, you are required to give the officer your conceal carry license and verbally state that you have a concealed weapon on your person or in your vehicle.

if you are not carrying, you may give them your permit and say nothing, and some people advise doing this even if you aren't carrying so they know that you are at least a quality enough citizen to be able to have said permit.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
In Georgia, there is no specific "CCW" permit. They changed the law a few years back so that with the standard firearms permit you can cover the weapon up. Also in Georgia, you are not even required to have a permit to carry concealed or otherwise. It is just better to have one.
hey did ya hear bout that feller in Augusta the deputy grabbed his piece out of his holster and now the whole department is getting sued???

Quick Reply: conceal carry etiquette - cops help here