Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Hunting Rigs

Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting Rigs

So let's see how you have your Jeep rigged out for hunting!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Not much to it - I had to adjust to using the smaller vehicle after many years of using a full-size 4x4 pickup. All I've done to my stock Jeep is put some bigger/more aggressive AT tires on it, add a winch to the front bumper, and I did buy a rack for the receiver hitch. The rack is plenty stout enough for carrying game.

Packed for a week long trip, hunting in Wyoming, about 900 miles from home. Tagged a mulie buck and a pronghorn as well. They fit fine in the two coolers I had with me:

Bear hunting trip, also scouting for elk, here in Washington. Didn't get a bear or an elk this year:

So, first year of hunting with the little Jeep. It hauled three game animals; a whitetail buck, a mulie buck and a pronghorn. I think that's pretty successful. Used the winch to move a fallen tree out of the way. Am reasonably happy with the tires. The game-hauling rack is great. All in all the little Jeep has done well. About the only things that I'd really like to do, improving it as a hunting vehicle, would be possibly a locker in the rear diff (Ox locker perhaps?) and mud tires of the same size. The basic Jeep makes a pretty doggone good hunting rig, without doing a lot of modifications. At least for me, it's worked out just fine.

CW
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lots of old logging & mining roads in the areas I hunt - not real challenging Jeep trails - which is fine with me. Might explain why a stock Jeep does so well for me too. I do have four heavy-duty tire chains in the Jeep for the winter, and also carry a shovel & hi-lift jack as well as tow straps, some chain, a tree-saver, some shackles - all the usual recovery gear.

Typical logging road at a clear-cut:

Headed into the hills on an early-season bear hunt. Road was easy then, it's covered in ice and snow now:

CW

Last edited by Cascade Wanderer; 12-26-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Use my trailer to haul all my hunting stuff

Old 12-31-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm jealous of ur hunting.... I've never been on a weekend long hunting trip..... Bucket list for me.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Set aside some time and money, and make the long hunting trip happen!

I take at least a week off work for deer season every year, have for a couple of decades. Now and again I treat myself to a hunt for bear or elk or a fishing trip for salmon or steelhead. This was the first year I hunted pronghorn antelope. I'd do that again in a heartbeat, much fun.

Typically I'll make the trip to Wyoming every few years, but mostly I just hunt here in my home state of Washington. Toss the camping and hunting gear in the Jeep or truck and head out for a few days or a week or more. It's a great way to spend some time in the hills. Many times my youngest son tags along with me - that's great! I really enjoy our father/son hunting and fishing trips. Great stuff. I've been hauling my sons out into the hills on hiking, hunting and fishing trips since they were was just little fellows. Now that they're grown men, it's good to see how much they still enjoy getting out.

Regards, CW
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cascade Wanderer
Set aside some time and money, and make the long hunting trip happen!

I take at least a week off work for deer season every year, have for a couple of decades. Now and again I treat myself to a hunt for bear or elk or a fishing trip for salmon or steelhead. This was the first year I hunted pronghorn antelope. I'd do that again in a heartbeat, much fun.

Typically I'll make the trip to Wyoming every few years, but mostly I just hunt here in my home state of Washington. Toss the camping and hunting gear in the Jeep or truck and head out for a few days or a week or more. It's a great way to spend some time in the hills. Many times my youngest son tags along with me - that's great! I really enjoy our father/son hunting and fishing trips. Great stuff. I've been hauling my sons out into the hills on hiking, hunting and fishing trips since they were was just little fellows. Now that they're grown men, it's good to see how much they still enjoy getting out.

Regards, CW
All sounds like lots of fun. Do you get any of your game mounted (taxidermy)? My son and i did are first father/son hunt last July and both got a pig each. Ive got his pig head at the taxidermy getting it mounted, thought it would be neat to have his first hunt up on the wall and he sure got excited when i told him about it.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by saravonshep
All sounds like lots of fun. Do you get any of your game mounted (taxidermy)? My son and i did are first father/son hunt last July and both got a pig each. Ive got his pig head at the taxidermy getting it mounted, thought it would be neat to have his first hunt up on the wall and he sure got excited when i told him about it.
Hit me up sometime for a hunt. The Diamond L ranch gives away hog hints all the time. If we can schedule a date with some lead time, I can get you and your son on one (I run the hunting/range area).
Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gyoja75
Hit me up sometime for a hunt. The Diamond L ranch gives away hog hints all the time. If we can schedule a date with some lead time, I can get you and your son on one (I run the hunting/range area).
Ill certainly keep that in mind, I just moved out here from CA and still looking for work. The rest of the family will be here in June and my son and i will be looking for hogs Gonna take a look at the at the diamond L ranch web site!!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

For taxidermy, I stick to simple skull or antler mounts for the most part. Have had a couple of bears made into rugs, and one exceptionally big coyote as well.

Quick Reply: Hunting Rigs