Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Hunting with a Saiga .308

Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hunting with a Saiga .308

What are your thoughts on using this for hunting dear? WHats the maximum yardage you would feel comfortable taking a shot at? I saw in another thread here one of you guys tagged one at 100 yards. WHat about 200 or even 300? I like the semi auto aspect to it and its price is great. My other option is a 45-70 Marlin. Very different rifles I know.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was probably me with the 100 yard shot.

I love mine. I used to use a Remington 700 in .308 and the Saiga is so much smaller and easier to maneuver around the woods/treestand (especially with the collapse-able stock).

With that said, mine is about a 3 MOA rifle. So it shoots about a 9" group at 300 yards. Not too bad but I'd probably only shoot a deer at 200 max with it.

Where I hunt, most of the shots are very close range and we have antler size rules so confirming anything over 200 yards would be tough anyway.

I hope that helped. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In ny, most use a rifle with a shorter barrel because of the brush and a 308 is a great dear round. I'm also killing two birds with one stone in that I can also e joy shooting that at the range. The 45-70 is a bit heavy for dear and pricey to shoot the Ammon a consistent basis.
Originally Posted by JakeMate
That was probably me with the 100 yard shot.

I love mine. I used to use a Remington 700 in .308 and the Saiga is so much smaller and easier to maneuver around the woods/treestand (especially with the collapse-able stock).

With that said, mine is about a 3 MOA rifle. So it shoots about a 9" group at 300 yards. Not too bad but I'd probably only shoot a deer at 200 max with it.

Where I hunt, most of the shots are very close range and we have antler size rules so confirming anything over 200 yards would be tough anyway.

I hope that helped. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to use a Saiga .308 for those ranges. It isn't a sub MOA rifle but neither was grandpa's lever action.

Quick Reply: Hunting with a Saiga .308