Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

A Little Info Please

Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we are all pretty much in agreement here that overall a larger cal. round is better for home defense than a 22. But lets also not forget about what a person can comfortably shoot and hit something with. Meaning.....say if your wife or girlfriend was in the house alone and an intruder broke in. If all I have in the house is a 45 or 44 that my wife "might" be lucky to hit anything with even with the first round, I would much rather have her grab the 22 semi that she could pump 6 off real quick. The chances of her hitting the target a few times greatly improves over shooting a larger caliber slug and not be able to follow up in case of a miss with the first round.

Oh and btw.....as far as the 12g slugs and 000 buck...if it was me I'd have it the other way around....the 00 or 000 buck in first, followed up with the slugs. Because at a distance you've got a better pattern/chance of hitting something with a few more slugs flying through the air than a single one. Then if the target gets closer the slugs are used. The AK fish and Game and biologists, and fishing guides have gone this route as far as bear protection. If a bear is charging it gets a couple buckshot in the face first. This more than likely will blind and disorient the bear, then the slugs provide the kill shots if it's still coming.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a good thought, I've heard of alternating too, 000, slug, 000, etc...
Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My thoughts on this subject

My thoughts on this subject, home invasion, and armed robbery or fire, first off have a good house alarm system installed with a household intercom, the biggest loudest horn they have,
and always have a light or two on at all times, if you are a family man have a plan for the family,
with rules ,children when you hear the alarm whether it's a fire or a break in, stay in your bedroom and close your door and hide until we give the all clear, a good alarm system can tell if its a break in or fire , ours will say fire fire or entry entry

Incase of entry
Close your door and defend your immediate area, don't go looking for the perp or perps with your 12 ga or what ever, laying in wait, they him or her might get off the first shot, now help for the family is gone !

Let the alarm system and police do their job

Now for the country folks that have a long response time for help, a dog that's good with children and part of the family, and big enough to get the job done, after that it's a coin toss.

Just my thoughts and hope it help's

Old 10-17-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's exactly our plan, lock the bedroom door and wait. We have three alarm systems...the monitored alarm and two large dogs!

Quick Reply: A Little Info Please