Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.
View Poll Results: AK-47 vs AR platform
AK-47
23.88%
AR 15, M4, M16 etc.
76.12%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

One of the biggest ongoing which gun is better. AK-47 vs. AR platforms

Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have both.....
Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the AK is a better weapon due to simplicity, and the damage ability of the native caliber.. and mine is plenty accurate enough to kill at 150 yards or more...

BUT... It is not my go-to combat rifle.. the .223 is a much lighter round, and a person can carry like twice as much ammo.. Ammo capacity and weight are far more important to me than simplicity, and caliber damage...

On the otherhand.. newer AR varients (not add on kits) such as the SCAR 16 take the benefits of the ak design, and introduce them to a 7 lb platform without the difficulties, and training issues which are present in the AK..
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

AR all the way...

Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Threads like these never end well.

Could we do 9mm vs .45 next?

...or Glock vs 1911

...or FAL vs M14

Old 06-21-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Fair enough...

Regardless of the circumstance, I'd still take a MK19 over anything else. That shit makes my no parts go YES!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

100 yards? 150?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My M&P15 is the cake of my gun collection. I wouldn't even compare it to an AK

Last edited by Hskr4x4; 06-21-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

No, it wasn't. I was just having a little fun.
Also, I don't understand when ever people talk of this type of firearm - Ak's, AR's, etc. Noone ever mentions the mini 14. These are all great guns, and they all have their good points, and bad. I just think that the Ruger Mini 14 is just as capable at being a part of this conversation is all

But really I was just having some fun, and I LOVE my mini 14
Mini 14's are fun guns, I really like them (mostly because I like the M14) but the barrels heat up and the zero wanders all over the place after shooting a bit. You won't notice it up close, but at 100 yds or more, it usually becomes apparent. Typically vertical stringing is what you see. They are great truck guns and plinkers, but without a lot of work, they are rarely as accurate as a decently made AR.

Threads like these never end well.

Could we do 9mm vs .45 next?

...or Glock vs 1911

...or FAL vs M14
No need, the answers are right here:
M14

As to the real question, I suppose it would depend on the exact application as to which one I would want to have. I like the larger clearances of the AK, and that it will still shoot minute of man if built and maintained properly, but there's no doubt that the M16 group of weapons is capable of more precision. Just depends on what you want to do with the weapon. One thing I do hate about the AK is the sights though. The radius is short, and the sights are harder to be precise with than the aperture system on our U.S. designed weapons.

Jason
Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let me preface this by stating that for most of my Adult and Military life, I was a Black Rifle Hater. I always felt blessed that my Branch (USN) held out until just recently before retiring the 7.62 x 51 M-14 (although they are still carried for line throwing). I was raised and taught that Stoner's design and the 5.56 x 45 cartridge was the biggest fraud perpetrated on the Military. Even as a child, my father told me the same and he owned Stoner's other design the AR-180.
After becoming a civilian in the early 90's, my personal collection is based on Comm-Bloc's and Main Battle Rifles in traditional calibers (I am a Garand junkie).

So fast forward twenty years when my son, who is home on leave is bestowing praise upon the M4. Well, I went out and bought an M-4. From here on out, Black Rifle Fever. I have to say, I love them and now have many. There is just so much fun in building them and shooting them, almost like adult Lego's

I just recently completed my first full "retro" A1 build, and absolutely love it

The lightness and feel of them in their original configuration is just a pleasure, I just backdated one of my M-4's from the A3 A4 upper to an A2, to get rid of the extra weight and stop my continual habit of adding the direct tv and espresso machine to the rails

Now, heads up against each other on which I would pick, it's a hard call. The 7.62 x 39 has uber power but, the 62 gr SS-109 round is way more accurate from a 1 in 7 or 1 in 9 twist, packing good stopping power.

Plus the big difference is here:

That is almost 1.5 pounds of difference in weight between each 90 rounds.

I have had some odd failures in my AR's, show stoppers that turned the weapon into no more than an expensive whiffle ball bat. Through thousands or rounds downrange in my AK, I have never had a failure.

I guess, when TEOTWAWKI goes down I am going to have to think long and hard about which to take........ nah screw it i'm taking my Garand.

Last edited by rnjstel; 07-09-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess, when TEOTWAWKI goes down I am going to have to think long and hard about which to take........ nah screw it i'm taking my Garand.

The M1 and M14 are my favorite rifles ever. I like some aspects of the M16 family of weapons, but compared to the Garand and the M14, the AR has no soul.

Jason

Quick Reply: One of the biggest ongoing which gun is better. AK-47 vs. AR platforms