Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

One Lucky Dude....???

Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be real...It's not some sensationalist video, it looks like he just got clocked pretty hard in the head.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 40 or more years ago my sister took a round of .45acp hardball right between the eyes like that.

Dad took us shooting back up in an old pasture on the mountain. He had his target tacked up against on old maple log, at about 25 yards. All us kids were sitting in a line about 5 feet behind him, he lit one off, and my sister falls over backwards screaming, "I've been shot!!"

Naturally Dad told her she was full of shit, but laying between her legs was that FMJ bullet, and the big red welt between her eyes was pretty hard to miss. Good thing for Dad he was a bullseye shooter, a modern combat stance would have caught him in some rather tender areas, and we may have ended up a couple siblings short of the final tally. That old one arm extended, one hand in the back pocket stance prevented a horrible accident and allowed that ricochet to bounce harmlessly off the hard back stop behind him.

Funny thing is, sister never asked to come shooting with us again. Go figure, girls is funny things.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by yetibear
About 40 or more years ago my sister took a round of .45acp hardball right between the eyes like that.

Dad took us shooting back up in an old pasture on the mountain. He had his target tacked up against on old maple log, at about 25 yards. All us kids were sitting in a line about 5 feet behind him, he lit one off, and my sister falls over backwards screaming, "I've been shot!!"

Naturally Dad told her she was full of shit, but laying between her legs was that FMJ bullet, and the big red welt between her eyes was pretty hard to miss. Good thing for Dad he was a bullseye shooter, a modern combat stance would have caught him in some rather tender areas, and we may have ended up a couple siblings short of the final tally. That old one arm extended, one hand in the back pocket stance prevented a horrible accident and allowed that ricochet to bounce harmlessly off the hard back stop behind him.

Funny thing is, sister never asked to come shooting with us again. Go figure, girls is funny things.
Jeeze.....glad she's still with us...!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

I've had many a bullets "bounce" back while shooting. The energy of a .50 cal bmg would produce so much forward momentum that I doubt any range target would throw it back. The give away is the whistling sound of the bullet coming back. No way! The sound is produced by bullet velocity. Also, look at the angle of the rifle while firing. Well above any "close" target. This was staged. Someone threw a rock in front to imitate a bullet hitting the ground.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who knows if it's real. The guy did not get hurt. Scratch maybe but seems to be it.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by txspud
I've had many a bullets "bounce" back while shooting. The energy of a .50 cal bmg would produce so much forward momentum that I doubt any range target would throw it back. The give away is the whistling sound of the bullet coming back. No way! The sound is produced by bullet velocity. Also, look at the angle of the rifle while firing. Well above any "close" target. This was staged. Someone threw a rock in front to imitate a bullet hitting the ground.
The sound of a ricochet is produced from a deformed bullet tumbling through the air.
Yes, it has to be moving fast, but not nearly the muzzle velocity.

The dirt from the round hitting the ground is propelled toward the shooter, as if from a projectile coming from down range.

In this age of things digital, it may or may not be fake.
Take it for what is looks like. It has happened to me, and I know it wasn't fake.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-22-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

I would bet it is real...
I used to shoot sillhouette (handgun) and the targets are set on rails (like actual railroad ones upside down). The bullets routinely hit the rails (sighting in, forgetting to re-set sights for next distance, trigger control issues, etc...) and I have seen several ricochet back at the shooters on the line. Sometimes the lead seperates from the jacket and one or the other comes back. A few years back, a bystander at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot was hit pretty hard by a ricochet. It also happens sometimes at IDPA and IPSC shoots, (steel targets). My friend Jason and I were shooting our .45's at his parent's house (out in the boonies) and he caught a ricochet that hit him in the chest hard enough to break skin and draw blood. The bullet probably hit a rock in the dirt, and the combination had enough "give" to send his bullet back. I once found a fired 7.62 bullet in our parking area, may have been scavenged and dropped or maybe a wild ricochet???? Bullets can do weird things....

Last edited by vtxrecruiter; 12-03-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi

Had a 270 round wiz by me after hitting a rock. I won't forget that sound. And how many can remember the sound of a baseball wizzing by while standing at home plate. So a projectile doesn't have to be going too fast to make a sound.

Quick Reply: One Lucky Dude....???