Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Ruger Sr-556 - Any experience or thoughts on it?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruger Sr-556 - Any experience or thoughts on it?

Anyone have one of these and want to relay their thoughts/opinions on it?

I like them and have interest in getting one in the not so distant future....

thanks
greg
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

They shoot good, balance great (for a piston rifle), and thanks to the gas system they can chew through some ammo. If I were looking for a piston system that is the one that I would turn to. I'm not a fan of piston systems though because of the availability of replacement parts and the fact that I have no need to spend more money for a heavier rifle.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do get the ruger go with the 6.8 spc variety.

For almost 1500 out the door, might as well go with the larger caliber.

I'm with Imrahil, on the weight. Piston guns are just heavy, add an optic, grip, light, and a full mag you'll be pushing ten pounds.

Just for the range, these rifles and their multitude of variants are awesome to own, shoot, and spend more money on.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
If you do get the ruger go with the 6.8 spc variety.
No offense, but I would stay away from the 6.8 and stick to the old 5.56. It is hard enough to find parts for this gun without adding in an oddball round. Not to mention that the 6.8 will never be adopted by the military, so we know that the 5.56 ammunition will be available for a long time. I always worry that these rounds will become hard to find in 10 years, and the BCG's will become impossible to replace.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None taken sir, those are very valid points. I don't own a 6.8 anyhow, just enjoy shooting them along with everything else.

For a lot of the reasons you just mentioned I'm going to give the 300 blk a run. Its on the building table now. By september I'll have it all together.

Both the brass and rounds are available in many varieties and just about anywhere. Same mags, bcg, all except the barrel. I just really like the modular aspect of the ar platform. Even my girlfriend loves em, thats a win win.

Even then, for the cost of the sr556 I could nearly build two rifles. But the extras that come with it are top notch, troy battle sights, quad rail, hogue grip, a case and pmags.

Hey op get one, and post some pics. I was also on the fence with one of these but ended up building instead. Always could use a change of heart
Old 07-21-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa29560
I don't own a 6.8 anyhow, just enjoy shooting them along with everything else.
And that right there is the best, and just about only reason, to buy any firearm. Throw the rest of it all out the window and get what you want and enjoy! Availability might get low, but there will always be availability. I mean you can still pick up 22 wrf and tons of other oddball rounds that died long ago.

Can't wait to get back home and enjoy some time on the range!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Imrahil
They shoot good, balance great (for a piston rifle), and thanks to the gas system they can chew through some ammo. If I were looking for a piston system that is the one that I would turn to. I'm not a fan of piston systems though because of the availability of replacement parts and the fact that I have no need to spend more money for a heavier rifle.
Well said.

Great value, if they still come with Troy (Ruger branded) folding BUIS. But very front heavy IMO. Weight isn't a factor of consideration for me, but balance is everything and the gun needs much more than the standard Magpul MOE stock. Vltor emod or Magpul ACS may help even it out.

Quick Reply: Ruger Sr-556 - Any experience or thoughts on it?