Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Up in a tree- Bowhunting

Old 10-19-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Up in a tree- Bowhunting

(Scroll down to see some pics of the buck from last year..the one that got away)Spent 10 hours watching 4 bucks and countless does. I didn't shoot anything today. I am waiting on the 8 point mature buck that runs all around my stand. It wasn't wasted because I enjoyed watching the young bucks battle and all the other wildlife. Not one question or phonecall ... priceless.

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 10-26-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jealous

wow, last time i was in texas, i saw tons of deer a day; here in southern california, i feel lucky if i see a couple all year within bow range...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

I saw lots of deer this weekend, passed on a bunch, ended up taking a little 3 point with a big body that walked out infront of us as we were leaving. I guess he didn't get the message that black powder season was open...hahaha!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 10-20-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PONCH
I saw lots of deer this weekend, passed on a bunch, ended up taking a little 3 point with a big body that walked out infront of us as we were leaving. I guess he didn't get the message that black powder season was open...hahaha!

Anytime you get up or move there will be a deer that just walked out. Congrats on the buck.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

I missed a decent buck thur morning...long story but I no longer shoot out of blinds..not for deer anyways. I should have blasted a doe that was limping sat morning. I don't know what was wrong with her. Broken, sore, I dunno. I jumped some deer early that morning so it could have been her. But I don't think so due to the fact her yearling was in lead. I had the hammer back and sites on her but didn't have the motivation due to the fact that it was very early and I knew there was big bucks in the area. I've been kicking myself ever since. I'll pass on every deer unless it's a big buck just to take her.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I passed on a young buck with the cervine equivalent of a needle d!ck Saturday morning. His body was small to medium (that would be a HUGE body to you southern boys) and his 6-point rack was no bigger around than my pinky. It would have been an easy shot, but a horrible waste of my 1 buck limit.
Two young does passed by Saturday afternoon at about 40 yards out. I was drawn and sighted, but noticed twigs in front of me and a sapling in front of the lead doe. I passed again.
This morning, not a cotton picking thing other than a doe well over 100 yards out, sniffing me on the breeze. Winds here are now gusting over 45 MPH and the deer had hunkered down.
I hope to get another archery weekend before gun season.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes, it always seems that something (wind, limbs, noise, another deer) makes it difficult to get a shot. I think that is why I really love the concept of bow hunting. Up close and difficult. Good Luck.

You wouldn't have passed on this Southern buck (last year). You are right though the bodies are generally smaller. My tags have 2 bucks and 2 does though!

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
I passed on a young buck with the cervine equivalent of a needle d!ck Saturday morning. His body was small to medium (that would be a HUGE body to you southern boys) and his 6-point rack was no bigger around than my pinky. It would have been an easy shot, but a horrible waste of my 1 buck limit.
Two young does passed by Saturday afternoon at about 40 yards out. I was drawn and sighted, but noticed twigs in front of me and a sapling in front of the lead doe. I passed again.
This morning, not a cotton picking thing other than a doe well over 100 yards out, sniffing me on the breeze. Winds here are now gusting over 45 MPH and the deer had hunkered down.
I hope to get another archery weekend before gun season.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Excepting special hunts and urban archery zones, we're limited to one buck for the whole archery-firearm-muzzleloader season. Doe counts are determined on a by-county basis, depending on the herd, human population, and deer-car accidents.
I never have to worry about buying another hunting license as long as I'm a resident of this state. I snapped up a lifetime while they were available. It was one of the best investments I've ever made.

Yeah, even though the deer down south are smaller, the racks don't seem to suffer the same shrinkage. My brother, father, and I were talking this weekend about how funny some of the "dog deer" look when they have massive racks on them. My brother lived in South Carolina for a while. The buck in that picture looks like he wasn't so small, though.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4

buck looks like an nice 130-140 class B&C....nice spread on him about 18-20inches!!! Good younger buck for sure....would be hard to pass up on him!!!

Quick Reply: Up in a tree- Bowhunting