Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Varmint / Target Rifle

Old 01-12-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
You may not want to go this small, but just for grins, have a look look at the 17 HMR. I know a couple guys that absolutely love them. As far as scopes go, don't skimp.....if you're gonna get a nice gun, then put a nice scope on it. Can't go wrong with Leupold....or higher, Swarovski, Ziess....
I have been learning about scopes and see they are going to cost a bit more than I thought.

I have looked at the 17 HMR and the 22 Hornet. Still not sure what I am going to do. Every time I start looking at guns I end up finding many more that I want than I can realistically own.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a big fan of the Ruger Mini 14 in .223.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

you can also check out the new 17 remington fireball. its a shortened 223 case with the .17 caliber bullet. seen this rifle drog a coyote at 400 yrds easy. very fast and flies great. only down side is buying ammo, but there should be more available soon now that is a factory cartridge.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jonboy
you can also check out the new 17 remington fireball. its a shortened 223 case with the .17 caliber bullet. seen this rifle drog a coyote at 400 yrds easy. very fast and flies great. only down side is buying ammo, but there should be more available soon now that is a factory cartridge.
What's up with buying ammo?.......can't find it?.......cost too much?......what? What about the 17HMR...same thing?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not want to go this small, but just for grins, have a look look at the 17 HMR. I know a couple guys that absolutely love them. As far as scopes go, don't skimp.....if you're gonna get a nice gun, then put a nice scope on it. Can't go wrong with Leupold....or higher, Swarovski, Ziess....
+ 1

This is a great round and much easier on the wallet than the 223..
Old 01-13-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by driley
I have been learning about scopes and see they are going to cost a bit more than I thought.

I have looked at the 17 HMR and the 22 Hornet. Still not sure what I am going to do. Every time I start looking at guns I end up finding many more that I want than I can realistically own.
Come on now....You can own what ever you want. You just have to want in bad enough..

My vote is the 17 HMR....The Ammo is cheaper than the 223 so you'll shoot it more. Just find a nice used scope on E-bay or the Craigs list and your set..
Try this site to find a rifle..Its Utah based but you can have the gun shipped to an FFL in Commifornia...KSL.com

I just bought a Browing Citori white satin hunter last month..Fantastic gun..Now my son likes it more than I do...Now I'm looking for a Browning Citori XT so my son can shoot the Satin Hunter..Its not something I need but I'll find away to make it happen..
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ifshinxs
Come on now....You can own what ever you want. You just have to want in bad enough..
I'm fiscally conservative
Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Driley,

I'd recommend the CZ 527 line of small caliber centerfire rifles. I personaly own this one the 527 Varmint with H-S Precision Kevlar Stock. It is a .223 caliber, bolt action, with a 5 round detachable magazine. Very nice indeed and very accurate.

Last edited by KSU_MAN_JK33; 01-13-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's up with buying ammo?.......can't find it?.......cost too much?......what? What about the 17HMR...same thing?
unitl about a year ago the 17 remington fireball was a wildcat round (round that isn't factory made) but now it is a factory round but its not ammo you can go to walmart and buy not yet anyways. you could get it from cabelas, natchess, midwayusa... and so on. as far as price goes its moderate priced.
17 hmr will be easier to find and buy. but its not as good as 223. If i was you i would buy a 204 ruger. about the same price a 223. but quite a bit faster less hold over for longer shots
Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

The 204 is a great round but if he doesnt want to spend alot. go with the 17hmr. also your in california you better make sure you can shoot lead bullets. If not the cost of ammo just went up for you. Trust me I went through this when I was stationed there.

Quick Reply: Varmint / Target Rifle