JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Hunting & Firearms (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/hunting-firearms-101/)
-   -   What Pistol do you carry daily? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/hunting-firearms-101/what-pistol-do-you-carry-daily-97956/)

ABQ_Dave 07-14-2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Croce (Post 2404489)
I know this is offtopic but seems like a good thread to ask...
Does anyone happen to use the Bestop under-seat storage to carry your firearm? If so anyone happen to know if a Ruger p95 fits?

I don't have the Bestop, but I have the Tuffy under seat drawer (see the write-up on the project-jk.com site) and it holds my Sig P250 and 5" Springfield XD .45 with room to spare. As the Bestop storage box is very similar in size, I have to think it will hold the Ruger.

Croce 07-14-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ABQ_Dave (Post 2404522)
I don't have the Bestop, but I have the Tuffy under seat drawer (see the write-up on the project-jk.com site) and it holds my Sig P250 and 5" Springfield XD .45 with room to spare. As the Bestop storage box is very similar in size, I have to think it will hold the Ruger.

Thanks i saw a writeup by Northridge comparing the two and he showed a pic where the bestop couldnt fit a Sig40. Since this Ruger is my first firearm i have no idea how it compares in size to a sig.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rawer-pictures

ABQ_Dave 07-14-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Croce (Post 2404546)
Thanks i saw a writeup by Northridge comparing the two and he showed a pic where the bestop couldnt fit a Sig40. Since this Ruger is my first firearm i have no idea how it compares in size to a sig.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rawer-pictures

wow, didn't realize how much smaller the bestop is. Do you already own the box? If not, buy the Tuffy, even if you don't place your weapon in it, it is great for other valuables.

Croce 07-14-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ABQ_Dave (Post 2404602)
wow, didn't realize how much smaller the bestop is. Do you already own the box? If not, buy the Tuffy, even if you don't place your weapon in it, it is great for other valuables.

No i dont own either one yet, i really do like the tuffy but since the bestop is half the price id rather get that if my ruger fit so i can use the extra cash towards other mods... or more ammo lol

Fire Wrangler 07-15-2011 10:29 AM

I carry my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry .45 cal. Always on me or in my Jeep in a Tac Holster that I mounted in the inside of the center console. Only time I dont carry my Kimber on me is when I am on the bike, then I have my Ruger LCP. I never go anywhere without one of my guns.:thumbsup:

bigbluejk 07-15-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Conagher1851 (Post 2403830)
i have fired many thousands from the 229 sig in .357 and it has never failed. it is an excellent gun. it will fit in the small of your back on a belt holster, and i have seen guys carry them on an inside-the-pants holster. you will not really be able to hide it under a tighter t-shirt, but u can fit it under a button-up short sleeve shirt and definitely under any kind of jacket or coat. it is a borderline full-sized gun imo. but it is easily concealed with MOST clothing. it is certainly not going to fit in a cargo pocket or regular pocket. also, thats not safe.

as for yuour .38 - id advise against it. imo the 38 rd is a piece of sh*t round that will not immediately affect a motivated attacker. I have seen individuals shot with a 38 and not even know theyre hit for a few minutes. go with 9mm, 40cal, or even 10mm. 9 and 40 are great for cheap ammo if u like to shoot a lot.

if you do go .38, plan on templing someone at point-blank. it is not a gun for shoot-outs, it is not a powerful round, it will not punch some heavier clothing.

finally, i trust sig - but i have never seen a very small automatic that was excellent in reliability. also, unless u train with your weapon, an automatic isnt advisable. theyre great if u know hiow to clear malfunctions, load, and so on with out thinking. otherwise, id recommend a revolver.

Thanks for the input. I would love to carry my ,.45 or another medium caliber pistol but I just can't conceal it. Lots of guys are carrying .380 and think it has the ability to defend but I have never liked the round myself. Looking at the ballistics of new .380s compared to 9mm a few years ago it really seems like a usable round to me. The 38 revolver has taken many lives as a primary and secondary for law enforcement, killed many people in the hands of criminals, and protected loads as a concealed/ home defense gun. If you look at current .380 specs and the specs on a .38spl they are very similar. 95gr .380acp is 1000fps with 211 ft/lbs energy where the .38spl has 850fps and 201 ft/lbs from a 125gr. bullet. That is pretty close is ballistics to me. I trust the .38 revolver enough that I bought my mom one to defend herself... so if the ballistics are similar in .380acp I should be able to defend myself with it.

Originally Posted by Fire Wrangler (Post 2405679)
I carry my Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry .45 cal. Always on me or in my Jeep in a Tac Holster that I mounted in the inside of the center console. Only time I dont carry my Kimber on me is when I am on the bike, then I have my Ruger LCP. I never go anywhere without one of my guns.:thumbsup:

I am a .45acp guy and the kimber ultra carry II was my first choice but there are a lot of unhappy kimber owners complaining online about the UCII having feed issues. You had any trouble from your kimber? Have you ran many rounds through it? aprox how many? Any problems?

leftcoastpunk 07-16-2011 06:41 AM

Springfield XD SC 40 cal (heavily stippled grip) with Pearce mag extender in a Crossbreed Supertuck (horsehide). Love the rig. Have got a full size 45 for the bedroom. Have not stepped up to the XDM because I got my XD's customized to just where I like 'em. Left Kali for Louisiana for just this kind of freedom!

Jason_G 07-16-2011 06:49 AM

Left Kali for Louisiana for just this kind of freedom!
:thumbsup:

Went to California for the first time a few months ago. Beautiful country, but it felt like prison. No offense to any Californians, but I won't be going back.

Jason

murdoc319 07-16-2011 06:54 AM

I carry a colt defender 3" barrel .45 unless im in uniform or on post (illegal). it's pretty easy to conceal with a t shirt but is accurate enough and packs a punch

07-Jk-rookie 07-16-2011 07:05 AM

I cary a Springfield XD .45 with a hi-cap mag and a 4' barreel. I am a big man and it conceals well on my body with a Bianchi retention holster