Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

57 Willy's

Old 02-15-2015, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 57 Willy's

My other Jeep was a 57.
Still kick myself for getting rid of it in 79.
It had the F head engine which needed a valve job when I got it.
Vacuum wiper on the drivers side and manual for the passenger.
It came with a fiberglass top and sliding doors. I took that off and went to Thrift Drug (remember Thrift Drug?) and ordered a rag top from the JC Penny catalog counter (remember the catalog counter?) for $180 bucks complete with doors (at least that's what I remember, it was the 70's.....).
Found a roll bar at a local junkyard to put on it.
It had the felt gaskets on the distributor and carb air intake that you could oil up to be waterproof.
I would keep a 4oz bottle of diesel fuel beside the seat.
Take the vacuum line off the wiper motor and rev the motor, let off the pedal and stick the hose in the bottle.
It would suck the fuel out as fast as you could get the hose in and make a James Bond smokescreen that the guy behind you couldn't even see his wiper blades.
You didn't do that very often due to the fact that diesel washed all the lube from everything it touched in the engine. But it was fun, ran like crap for a minute, but fun.
Top speed of about 54mph.
Directional recaps would go anywhere!
Loved that Jeep
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPSON034.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	596858
Old 02-15-2015, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

Both Cool....
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-15-2015 8-09-35 AM.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	596859
Old 02-17-2015, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ahh yes...had a '49 and a '70 myself. Would love to still have both!
Old 02-17-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

My grandfather had a 48 Willey's he restored. I sure wish I had it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48 willeys.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	597233  
Old 02-21-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

I had a '48 or '49, (depending on which section of the Jeep you were looking at!) and a '59 CJ-5.

The CJ-2 (or CJ-3A) had original (type) of powertrain. Although some of the engine parts were from a GPW Ford. It later in its life acquired a Sears aluminum top with doors. My favorite (joking) modification was the race-car tech (joking) fuel system. It was a 5 gallon jerry can ratchet strapped to the driver's front fender with a rotten rubber hose running to the fuel pump, which leaked horribly. Needless to say I only managed to limp it into the garage off the trailer. I ended up taking it ALL THE WAY APART with handtools and a grinder. Bought a full collection of parts with the intention of building a rock crawler since I couldn't register it. Sold the whole parts pile years ago...sad day.

The '59 CJ-5 was rattle can white with a 390 BB Ford factory 4 barrel. It ran really rough but couldn't drive it because of a missing clutch fork. Seems the last owner "lost it" after swapping in a T-19 and sourcing the Ford bellhousing. Traded it for a '60 Falcon 2 door a few months into the rebuild.

Anyway, seeing the '57 brought back some fun memories of tracking down rusty parts and chasing trailers on back roads. Thanks for the photo!

Quick Reply: 57 Willy's