Notices
Jeep Liberty Overall Jeep Liberty technical discussions. This includes all Jeep Liberty models.

2012 Jeep Liberty

Old 08-22-2021, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Jeep Liberty

Check engine light (MIL) came on... no other indications of problem. Dealer wiped gas cap and fill pipe with a rag and said the light should go off "after a while." It didn't. I took it to a mechanic who put a diagnostic device on it and couldn't find any problem, other than "gascap." He zeroed the code and the MIL went off. Couple days later, MIL is back on and "gascap" appeared. Owner's manual is no help! I called for support on Jeep website and was told they are not technically trained and I should take the car to a dealer. They, also, were obviously no help! The MIL ("Malfunction Indicator Light") is there for a reason; how do I correct the malfunction? I need some help: anybody got any ideas?
Old 08-22-2021, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 468 Likes on 420 Posts

This is a JK/JL/JT forum but seeing as you have a Jeep - what kind of dealer do you have? It really sounds like an air leak into the tank and the first culprit I would look at is the gas cap or the seal around it. And could be something amiss in the evaporator canister system. Been wheeling in it just before this issue came up??

Quick Reply: 2012 Jeep Liberty