Notices
Jeep Liberty Overall Jeep Liberty technical discussions. This includes all Jeep Liberty models.

Is this normal ?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal ?

Hello all . Just looking for some friendly advice just picked up and 06 liberty I realize it’s not a JK but many of you have the same engine. My last jeep wasn’t 04 wrangler 4.0 but did not work out with the family so I moved on to a liberty for my wife . My question is just picked up an 06 liberty with 124,000 miles on it I have the Carfax report and from what I can see starting around 80,000 miles oil changes were literally a few hundred miles over each time so it was well taken care of in garage kept. I got it for a steel in the condition that it’s in is unbelievable but I noticed when I started in the morning and keep in mind it is 30° or colder in the morning it has an engine click. The clique does almost go away when the engine warms up it is not in the belt or pulleys and it is not an exhaust leak when the engine is hot I have to put my ear into the fender well but I still hear what I would describe as click click click click click click. I do not hear it when I read the engine and the engine runs very very smooth I just didn’t oil change with 5W-30 oil and a full synthetic oil additive it may just be my OCD but I thought I would ask and see what you guys think if I get under the jeep I can still hear it not like it’s in the lower end but just hear it under the jeep in general. My sister-in-law has a 2003 with 180,000 miles and it too was well taken care of and other than a normal click when first started it’s quiet as a mouse when it’s hot and it to has the 3.7 L . Please let me know what you guys think thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 06 liberty is still the bubbly body style, right? They had some sort of top end issue as well. My dad bought a used one and lucked out. When it was totaled he looked into another and came across the top end issue. We went to go check out a "clean carfax, 1 owner, regular oil changes" liberty and that noise was so prominent that even for a steal we had to pass it up.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danv508
Hello all . Just looking for some friendly advice just picked up and 06 liberty I realize it’s not a JK but many of you have the same engine. My last jeep wasn’t 04 wrangler 4.0 but did not work out with the family so I moved on to a liberty for my wife . My question is just picked up an 06 liberty with 124,000 miles on it I have the Carfax report and from what I can see starting around 80,000 miles oil changes were literally a few hundred miles over each time so it was well taken care of in garage kept. I got it for a steel in the condition that it’s in is unbelievable but I noticed when I started in the morning and keep in mind it is 30° or colder in the morning it has an engine click. The clique does almost go away when the engine warms up it is not in the belt or pulleys and it is not an exhaust leak when the engine is hot I have to put my ear into the fender well but I still hear what I would describe as click click click click click click. I do not hear it when I read the engine and the engine runs very very smooth I just didn’t oil change with 5W-30 oil and a full synthetic oil additive it may just be my OCD but I thought I would ask and see what you guys think if I get under the jeep I can still hear it not like it’s in the lower end but just hear it under the jeep in general. My sister-in-law has a 2003 with 180,000 miles and it too was well taken care of and other than a normal click when first started it’s quiet as a mouse when it’s hot and it to has the 3.7 L . Please let me know what you guys think thanks
Sell it, sell it quick, don't look back...
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Is this normal ?