Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

'05 TJ Roof Rack & Hidden Hitch - HELP

Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 TJ Roof Rack & Hidden Hitch - HELP

So my wife's Jeep is an '05. We bought a roof style rack about two years ago and had it installed. Front portion mounts to the bottom widshield brackets and the rear portion mounts to the frame at 2 points and also mounts into the body behind each of the rear turn signals.

It turns out that we have a need this summer to tow a small trailer so I went out and bought a Hidden Hitch and plan to install it myself. I get out to the garage a few days ago and hold the hitch up to the frame and it's just not fitting right. What it looks like is happening is there's so little clearance between the frame rails and hitch mount plates that the roof rack mounts are interfering.

Anyone out there with a similar setup?

I am going to try loosening the roof rack and see if I can get the hitch mounts between the frame and roof rack mounts, rather than the roof rack mount between the frame and hitch mounts.

Thanks!

Last edited by castle228; 05-20-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: '05 TJ Roof Rack & Hidden Hitch - HELP