Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Horn / steering wheel issue

Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn / steering wheel issue

I just purchased a '92 S the other day. I bought it for my son, who gets his DL at the end of July and this is his first car (Jeep). The turn signal level is broken off although if I stick it back in the turn signals work and the windshield washer works. I haven't figured out with the wipers will work yet.

I found a rewrite-up on fixing it. I emailed the link to my 16 yr old son and by the time I got home he had part of the steering wheel apart. But I don't have the steering wheel puller yet and I made him put it back together. So to my problem, every time he goes to put the horn back together it blows. I disconnected the battery and when he's done I connect it back. One press of the horn and it stays on. My neighbors love me.

Any idea of what I can do to get it fixed?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone have a horn replacement option?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Did he have the horn pad off ? Be careful that you put those pieces in correctly. I worked at the dodge jeep dealer for 26 years and had alot of that style column apart and I seem to remember a specific way that goes together. Is that the style that has 3 or 4 screws that hold the metal part in under the horn pad ? If so take it back apart and you should be able to see what was put together wrong. If not let me know and I could send specific instructions.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

So I figured out what the issue was. The metal plate was getting pinched under the isolation spacer and I think we had the metal plate upside down. This was easy considering the turn signal switch breaking. What a nightmare. Had to remove the whole steering column basically to get to the part. Part ordered and it should be perfect next week.
Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Horn / steering wheel issue