Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Need help with NP231...i think

Old 07-16-2007, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with NP231...i think

I need some help with my 99 TJ. I am fairly certain the chain in the NP231 is stretched. When slowing down it makes a loud ticking sound, like the chain is skipping off the bottom of the case. Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis? Also this is my daily driver so I really don't want to try and rebuild the case unluss I have to. So I guess if the case is the problem is it much more expensive to replace then rebuild? Also does anyone have a NP231 for a 99 TJ or have an idea where i might start looking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welp sounds like you need to either replace the chain or replace the case. Either way they are both going to be pretty close in price. Im sure Jeep will throw a $200 at you for a chain, but you might be able to pickup a used case for $200-$350.

I personally and I do mean personally would crack it open and replace the chain than to replace the case. You learn how it works as well you might find its something cheaper than the chain.
Heres how I did my SYE. It wasn't hard and you can do it easily within a few hours. If all your doing is replacing the chain you dont have to worry about messing with all the snap ring plyers.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/231sye/1.php

Quick Reply: Need help with NP231...i think