Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

removal of flares

Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removal of flares

i want to remove my fender flares so i can paint them i see the bolts that hold them on are they generaly difficult to remove and can i spray the threads for easy removal. thanks mark also what type of paint would you use on the flares i am painting them same as the body colour thanks again
Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

if yours are not painted yet i would suggest using a heat gun. I painted mine with krylon fusion and it just started peeling off. and yes i removed them prepped them and did lots of prepwork.

heres a video of a guy using a heat gun on his flares
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw0cWfTZ_dA

its worth a shot before trying paint. but if you do go the paint route get krylon fusion satin black. there are just a few bolts folding the flares on and i suggest using a ratcheting wrench. there a pain in the ass
Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Somewhat off topic, but I met a guy this past weekend that had his Line X'd. It looked f'ing SWEET! His was a guinea pig. The guy who did it wanted to see if it worked so he did it for free. So far, no probs with the flex or anything.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Newbie

i will try the heat gun but i my still want to paint them the same as the body colour. how long does the heat gun trick last i heard it is not a permanent fix. mark

Quick Reply: removal of flares