Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

steering problem

Old 09-04-2019, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problem

I fixed up a 2001 Jeep Wrangler for my daughter. It does not have any bells or whistles on it just a normal Jeep stocked. The only thing on it that's not factory is the tires. I put 18 inch tires and rims off a 2017 Jeep. Prior to giving her the Jeep it had been involved in a minor wreck. I had to replace the front axle and I replaced the gear box. She has been driving it since March without any issues. All of the sudden the steering became very stiff as if there is no power steering. I have checked for leaks and there is no leaks of fluid under the vehicles undercarriage or on the concrete where she parks. I jacked the Jeep up to bleed the power steering in case of maybe some air was in the lines and it didn't seem to have any air in the lines. While the front was jacked up the steering wheel and wheels turned as they should with ease and very little effort. When I let the wheels back on the ground it was back to the same problem, as if there was no power steering. Just wondering if anyone could point me in anther direction. Thanks
Old 09-04-2019, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you checked the air pressure in your front tires?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You're really better asking this on wranglerforum dot com or Jeepforum dot com. There are some former TJ guys here (myself included) but you'll find a wealth of knowledge on the other forums in regard to the issue you're having with the TJ. Your gear box is set further forward than ours so it's possible that it may be damaged without doing anything extreme. The other thing I'd check would be the pump to see that you're actually getting fluid pumped around to give you that assist. With the vehicle in the air, it doesn't take much to turn the tires.

Quick Reply: steering problem