Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

Older Jeepers

Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rguarin
Be 63 April 2014 started in the 70s with a 1951 Willy's , 1992 YJ, now I own a 2003 Rubicon 2 door and a 2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon 4 door and I just bought a 2013 JK-8 . Once Jeep gets in your Blood God help your pocketbook. All this on top of a Motorhome too. My wife will NOT let me get near a Jeep dealership or a Motorhome dealership. Boys and their TOYS......
I'm really lucky, The kids (2 girls,both married ,and 3 grandkids) took over my 2008 unlimited and it now resides at our bay house. So I was without a Jeep for 6 months. The wife saw that I was starting to get lack of jeep depression, and TOLD me I needed to trade in the ........ Honda element I was hiding in the garage because everyone talked smack about me when I drove it, SO, I did, and bought the 2014 Rubicon unlimited with everything I could get on one!
I mean, aren't you supposed to listen to your wife when she thinks something needs to be done ?

We used to have a motor home, BUT, I always had to drive and that truly sucked, so I also got this to go with the Jeep,

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-29 13.24.50.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	521109

More that enough for the wife and I a couple of the small dogs, or Maybe a grandkid. I still have to drive,But, at least I'm drivin the Jeep!
By the Way, a JK-8 ! I am jealous.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

45-I'm on my second Jeep, but they were both long term affairs. The first was a 93 blue YJ. It was stock, except for a portable winch mount (front and rear) with an 8k Warn, and 31" tires. It was a 4 banger with a 5 speed manual. I wheeled that thing like crazy, but the YJ was really a great daily driver because it handled like a sports car. The 4cyl had 50/50 front/rear weight distribution. One of the most fun things about it was surprising people on the trails as to what it could do. Also, I wasn't interested in breaking any parts and ruining a great day on the trail. I put about 130k on that thing over 11 years, and sold it. It was in excellent shape when I sold it, too. I still don't understand what the hell I was thinking at the time. Family? No, I didn't get that much for it. I sold it to a guy that runs a transmission ship and is a Jeep fanatic. He told me it was going to be a monster build, with a big V8. I never did see what he did with it.

I went off-roading with a Hummer club in Houston once. Those guys were blown away with what the little YJ could do, especially in the sand. I forded a creek where the water was coming over the hood, and somehow made it to the other side. A Hummer behind me went through, but the guy made a mistake, hit the brakes, then gas, and caused a bow wave to come over the front.....POP goes the expensive 6.2!!!! We were all amazed the little YJ made it through that water, but the guy's bad technique caused the issue more than anything else. I also think he hit a hole in the bottom. I ran rings around them in the loose sand, which was a total blast. These were real Hummers, by the way. H1's, and they were pretty badass in the deep goo and going through seemingly impassable deep ruts. Great bunch of guys.

Fast forward from 2004, when I sold the Jeep, to 2007. My wife asked me if I wanted another Jeep. My jaw dropped, and I said yes so fast I think she wished she hadn't asked. I decided, since I had been promoted and received a nice pay increase, to go all out for a Rubi in steel blue, with a 6 speed and side air bags. (I wanted those because I knew she'd drive it at times, and who knows, maybe one of my kids eventually gets it.) Problem was you couldn't find the combo of a manual and side bags, anywhere. I searched coast to coast, and ordering was a 6+ month deal at the time. A guy in Chicago waited so long for his that he rejected it when it arrived. The salesman knew from two months prior what I had inquired about, and called me. (This guy was the sharpest car salesman I'd ever encountered.) I drove up there that night and bought it. It had everything I wanted but with the MyGig.

I've made mild mods to it...2" lift, 33" narrow KM2's, some additional skid plates, winch, and lighting. I still enjoy probing the limits of a mostly stock Jeep, and not breaking drivetrain parts. It also is still a great daily driver. In the summer, the doors come off and stay off. This thing is a hill climbing goat! With both lockers locked, and the sway bar disconnected, it is pretty amazing. It doesn't maneuver like the YJ, but it doesn't scare the shit out of me on hills like the YJ did, either.

One thing I miss about the YJ is the unrefined nature of it. The hard ride, flapping top, loud interior, and overall feel was something special. The Rubi is quiet, no flapping, and actually has a great stereo. I'm amazed at how civilized the soft top is, really. Both Jeeps have blast furnaces for heaters, which is really nice.

Best Jeep trip: I had 6 kids at the time (I have 9 now), and we took the JK, towing a pop-up, to Colorado. I put a Littleseats 3rd row seat in it and we crammed everything we needed in there. We explored long mountain trails and ghost towns for a week. What a blast! My kids LOVE the Jeep, almost as much as I do.

This JK has the lifetime powertrain warranty, and I haven't had any huge issues, so it will be here a long time. It still feels new to me, and it is hard to believe I've had it for 6 years. I'd still love to have that YJ along side it, though.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

51 years young here and like many I started jeepin' years ago with a "responsibility" break in the middle. My first jeep was a CJ5 with 7"lift, 36" mudders and a V8 swap. Fender well headers and a built 304 was awesome ! Used to be a member of Nutmeg State Four Wheelers in the 80's until it folded. Fast forward to todays world...whoever thought a jeep could have heated seats, a/c, remote start and STILL KICK ASS
Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Turned 50 on Halloween 2013... Celebrated by wheeling with my best friend, and coming home to my wife and a surprise party
Purchased my first 2011 JKU in Sept. of 2011 and I love it. I am hooked on JK's, the lifestyle and the community You guys and gals are awesome!!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my first jeep in 1969 and still have it. (see signature)

We ran the Rubicon, Sierra Trek, Fordyce and all the trails with our 31" tires and no lockers. I took my wife on the Rubicon for the honey moon, broke a front axel leaving Buck Island Lake. My friends went to south Lake Tahoe bought an axel and brought it back the next day.

I will be 64 this summer and am still jeepin.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

52 years old or young or what ever. Wheeling from 16 till now. Started with a 1944 MB 225 V-6, SM420 trans and Dana 44's front and rear. Learned the hard way be breaking things then making it stronger. Have had 8 jeeps till now. 2013 JKUR. Amazing how things have changed. Love my JK. Will continue to wheel for a long time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1267010381.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	522215  
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Forty-nine and holding here. Bought our first Jeep 4 years ago. It's the wife's daily driver now but it will soon be turned over to me. I put a 3" budget boost with some 35's, High Country back bumper with tire carrier and here's a pic of it after I installed the Blue Ox tow bar and Rugged Ridge front bumper. I love wrenchin' on this thing. Once I take possession back from the wife I will be adding more. I am also new to this forum. It's great. Here's to the older guys and gals. "beers".

Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

48 years old here. I have had a 1980 cj7 for years and this past June traded in my Ford F250 for a new 2013 jku. Couldn't be happier!
Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default really old

73, and still going, just a little slower. have a 97 bilt tj, by me. working on limo off road rubi, 2013 2dr, keep on jeeping, don't rest, you will rust.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm turning 40 in June, and I don't consider myself older. But I have been into Jeeps since I was 21. My first was a red 'XJ Cherokee and I drove that thing until it literally died, Then I went to a white '99 TJ and I drove the wheels off of that one too. Now I have a commando green 2013 Unlimited with an unlimited lifetime warranty from Mopar. So I can drive it until the wheels fall off then for a $100 deductable they will bring it back to life.

Quick Reply: Older Jeepers