Notices
Jeeping Lifestyle Post your wheeling adventures and JK trail experiences!

A Question for Older Jeepers. (62 and above)

Old 09-03-2016, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Question for Older Jeepers. (62 and above)

I live near Uwharrie National Forest and used to trail ride there all the time back in the day. Now that there is a usage fee does anyone know if a National Forest Senior Pass will cover ORV trail usuage in National Forests. Can't seem to find an answer on their website. I do know from a recent trip that it does not cover a driving permit on the OBX. Thanks
Old 09-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Calling El Dorado trading post down there would be a good place to start. The beach permits are special to particular areas in the Outer Banks because they fund beach replenishment projects.

They weren't checking permits when I was down in URE but I still bought a tag.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default What Your Senior Covers...

Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
I live near Uwharrie National Forest and used to trail ride there all the time back in the day. Now that there is a usage fee does anyone know if a National Forest Senior Pass will cover ORV trail usuage in National Forests. Can't seem to find an answer on their website. I do know from a recent trip that it does not cover a driving permit on the OBX. Thanks
The simple answer is "no". Your Senior Pass covers "Standard Amenity Fees" and some "Expanded Amenity Fees".

An OHV permit is considered a "Special Recreation Permit" and not included in the Senior Pass benefits.

From this USFS Senior Pass web page...

Standard Amenity Fees

Examples: Picnic areas, developed trailheads, destination visitor centers

Explanation: Typically, standard amenity fees are day use fees, often covered by a day or annual pass. Each site or area must contain six "amenities," which are picnic tables, trash receptacle, toilet, parking, interpretive signing and security.

Expanded Amenity Fees

Examples: Campgrounds, highly developed boat launches and swimming areas, cabin or lookout rentals. Services like hookups, dump stations, special tours, transportation systems and reservation services.

Explanation: Provides direct benefits to individuals or groups.

Special Recreation Permits

Examples: Shooting ranges, special events, specialized trail systems

Explanation: Permits are issued when extra measures are required for natural and cultural resource protection, or the health and safety of visitors. They may also be used to disperse recreation use or help ensure that the number of visitors does not exceed the capacity of the land.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I recommend call USFS Uwharrie office. My experience in many other areas is sellers of permits have no idea, and local ranger supervisors apply their own interpretations to whether a permit is special use or not, and to whether they will let a park pass offer free or discounted rates. Here is the office ...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...anger+District
Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default Latest Change to Senior Pass

Just received this message from Escapees (full-time camping organization)
On 12/10/2016, Congress passed a bill that increases the cost of the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Passes.
Currently, park visitors aged 62 or older may buy a Senior Pass—a lifetime pass—for $10.00. Under the new law, the cost of a Senior Pass will rise to $80.00, $20.00 for an annual pass. And, under certain circumstances the cost of the Senior Pass may increase beyond $80.00.

The following federal agencies honor National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Passes:

• The Forest Service
  • The National Park Service
  • Fish and Wildlife Service
  • Bureau of Land Management
  • USACE
  • Bureau of Reclamation
If you are age 62 or older, and do not currently have a Senior Pass, consider purchasing one

Quick Reply: A Question for Older Jeepers. (62 and above)