Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Anyone Running APRS?

Old 11-27-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a big APRS fan. Especially love it off-road with my buddies that are also APRS enabled.

I have a D710 mounted on top of the center console plate. Started with a byonics GPS, but since upgraded to an AvMap GeoSat 5, mounted next to the D710 on the center console. It's great because I can see the map location of the other APRS stations around me.

When I'm off-road and out of cell range, I use APRS-->Winlink to send e-mail to my wife letting her know we're safe and when to expect us back home.

I'm active with our local ARES group, so APRS is very handy to let our group know where I am, and for me to know where they are.

I also have a TM-V71 installed, with its control head on the far left dash next to the little speaker. It's great to have 4 VFO's in the Jeep, and the dual antennas look cool too! Both of the body units are mounted under the front seats, one under each. I even removed the seats and used zip ties to fix them to the bottom of the seat so that you can't tell that they're there with the doors off.

When I go to park somewhere "unsafe" I pull the D710 and AvMap off the dash and lock in the center armrest. The V71 is there to stay, but it isn't all that interesting to a thief I assume.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Adam, any pics of the dash with the AvMap and D710? Wife already makes fun of me for my toys. Want to see how much more she should razz me if I added one of those.

BTW, saw your wiki, add the APO3! I have one in my truck and jeep. No more worrying about running the batts out.

Originally Posted by MileHighAko
I am a big APRS fan. Especially love it off-road with my buddies that are also APRS enabled.

I have a D710 mounted on top of the center console plate. Started with a byonics GPS, but since upgraded to an AvMap GeoSat 5, mounted next to the D710 on the center console. It's great because I can see the map location of the other APRS stations around me.

When I'm off-road and out of cell range, I use APRS-->Winlink to send e-mail to my wife letting her know we're safe and when to expect us back home.

I'm active with our local ARES group, so APRS is very handy to let our group know where I am, and for me to know where they are.

I also have a TM-V71 installed, with its control head on the far left dash next to the little speaker. It's great to have 4 VFO's in the Jeep, and the dual antennas look cool too! Both of the body units are mounted under the front seats, one under each. I even removed the seats and used zip ties to fix them to the bottom of the seat so that you can't tell that they're there with the doors off.

When I go to park somewhere "unsafe" I pull the D710 and AvMap off the dash and lock in the center armrest. The V71 is there to stay, but it isn't all that interesting to a thief I assume.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedDavid
Adam, any pics of the dash with the AvMap and D710? Wife already makes fun of me for my toys. Want to see how much more she should razz me if I added one of those.

BTW, saw your wiki, add the APO3! I have one in my truck and jeep. No more worrying about running the batts out.
X2 for pics, I am planning on the Kenwood and am just starting to get an understanding of APRS...

Thanks!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Running APRS?

I am! I am! ME, ME, ME!!!

http://aprs.fi/?call=ki6zlf&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600

This was just a few errands I ran Sunday evening. The software was late picking up my GPS. It always showed current GPS position but it didn't start sending the correct position for about 30 minutes.

Now I just have to figure out that little glitch. And WinLink. And station to station messaging. And permanently install the FT-857 with TT4. And...
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedDavid
Not the best pic, but you get the idea. It's worse now that I have my Motorola Droid phone mount right above the very left speaker. My JK is starting to look like a cockpit of an x-wing (if you don't know what that is, you're too young to drive a Jeep).

Here is another with a profile of the radios - with Yellow Dog (RIP 10/2008). As you can see, the radios and GPS do not obstruct your view at all.

Final 2 shots, you can see my antennas mounted on the rear. Those are Diamonds, but I've since replaced them with max-rads as I've busted 3 diamonds back there. Mounted like they are they get a TON of vibration, and the diamond coils just couldn't handle it. My new max-rads are actually much better and two of them cost less than a single diamond. And yes, they are technically too close together, but in two years of running them this way I haven't had any problems.

Here is a link to the high-rez copy of that last picture if you want, at full rez you can see the antenna mounts better. http://tinyurl.com/y8kqlks It's just too big to post here.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default New Yaesu Mobile APRS

Yaesu has a new radio, FTM-350, that will compete with the Kenwood D-710. It is dual band, APRS onboard, and some slick features such as bluetooth, and dual speakers built into the control head. Really cool stuff.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Check out "iBCNU". I-phone application.

Hey guy's, check out "iBCNU". I-phone application.

Although this I-(Phone/Touch) application's APRS reporting data is not collected at first via Ham band, you might like check it out just the same.
Keep in mind even though it is just a application, it still ties into APRS system and therefore still requires a valid amateur radio license.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=MileHighAko;1449582]Not the best pic, but you get the idea. It's worse now that I have my Motorola Droid phone mount right above the very left speaker. My JK is starting to look like a cockpit of an x-wing (if you don't know what that is, you're too young to drive a Jeep).

I have almost the same mounting for your Kenwood and have zero problems with visibility
Old 12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
wdw
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MileHighAko
Not the best pic, but you get the idea. It's worse now that I have my Motorola Droid phone mount right above the very left speaker. My JK is starting to look like a cockpit of an x-wing (if you don't know what that is, you're too young to drive a Jeep).

Are you running two 2 meter 440 radios? If not, what is in the windshild?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It appears that he is running 2 radios. The left looks like the TM-71A. Follow the link in his profile.

I am curious how you mounted it to the dash. I have an plan on how to put the faceplate on the left but I am always open to better ideas.

Quick Reply: Anyone Running APRS?