JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK CB & HAM Radios (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/)
-   -   Bozos on Channel 6 - who are these guys? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/bozos-channel-6-who-these-guys-214108/)

pastorwug 01-16-2012 03:54 PM

Bozos on Channel 6 - who are these guys?

CB channel 6 - what a distraction!
They sound like a bunch of hillbillies that just talk gibberish constantly.
One guy says bye-bye at least 30 times in a row every 1/2 hour or so.
Does anyone else have to put up with these idiots every time you turn on the CB?
Can the FCC do something about it, the wttage they transmit over is way off the hook even here in Central California.

Croce 01-16-2012 03:59 PM

hahaha i was on the CB yesterday hearing the same thing, i cant understand a damn thing they're talking about but i always hear some guys go bye,bye,bye,bye and on and on
Makes we wonder what kinda drugs thier on lol

Pushrod 01-16-2012 04:45 PM

That is exactly why the CB lost popularity in the early 80's. It became so cluttered you couldn't talk more than a mile on a radio that didn't have a linear amplifier. Too much trash talk too.

Absolute 01-16-2012 06:02 PM

lol I hear those guys to. It sounds like they are from the south.:D

conifers4 01-17-2012 05:51 AM

Channel 6 is known as the "Superbowl". Guys running mega-watts of power with huge beam antennas. And yes, its crazy talk:crazyeyes:

AK4Dave 01-17-2012 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by pastorwug (Post 2793683)
Can the FCC do something about it,

Simple answer......NO. They let it be a free for all in the CB channels.

However HAM radio is a different story....

pastorwug 01-17-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by AK4Dave (Post 2794857)
Simple answer......NO. They let it be a free for all in the CB channels.

However HAM radio is a different story....

Just called the FCC and lodged a complaint and it is as you just said - it's a complete free for all on the CB in America. :doh:
Not much they can do but they were surprised that the CB signal on Channel 6 was reaching across the entire US.
So, they said an agent would call me back about it, we'll see if that happens, I'm not holding my breath anyways.
Wish there was a way to block out Channel 6 from channel scans while on the road.

Rubicon09 01-17-2012 08:45 AM

I hear those guys up here in Iowa as well. Very annoying when I have the channel scan on.

Noxian 01-17-2012 10:07 AM

Its not ucommon for us to get skip from down south all the way up here, its very annoying, sometimes I can hardly speak to someone couple feet away.

mikekeeper 01-17-2012 02:58 PM

There are still rules that the FCC can enforce for power level and content. Whether they will or not with all of the budget cuts is another thing. Keep cutting taxes and you don't get any service anymore.

conifers4 01-17-2012 04:13 PM

Remember the great thing about CB's is that there are 39 other channels.........

Rubicon09 01-18-2012 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikekeeper (Post 2795653)
There are still rules that the FCC can enforce for power level and content. Whether they will or not with all of the budget cuts is another thing. Keep cutting taxes and you don't get any service anymore.

Sorry but I pay plenty of tax. They can keep cutting taxes and cut out all of the worthless earmarks and programs. Don't try to blame the FCC not enforcing this on lack of tax revenue.

Bucko 01-18-2012 05:01 AM

This thread is proof that THEY win! lol

I get some conversations occasionally from some dude who has a station in Hawaii talking to people from all over the U.S. I'm pretty sure he's pushin more than a couple watts.
It's gonna be rednecks like that who will survive the Zombie Apocalypse! And then when the aliens come to take over they will meet those channel 6 bandits and then have no doubt that its time to wipe out earth....
What were we talking about?:crazyeyes:

8000ft 01-18-2012 06:46 AM

yep ,got um up here in Colorado too..........have to agree though with the whole alien thing....I think?:thinking:

AK4Dave 01-18-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by pastorwug (Post 2794957)
Just called the FCC and lodged a complaint and it is as you just said - it's a complete free for all on the CB in America. :doh:
Not much they can do but they were surprised that the CB signal on Channel 6 was reaching across the entire US.
So, they said an agent would call me back about it, we'll see if that happens, I'm not holding my breath anyways.
Wish there was a way to block out Channel 6 from channel scans while on the road.

The thing is....CB is HF, and during the high sunspot activity (solar cycle), as it is now, HF signals can travel around the world, much less just the US. This is the main reason I posted this: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Heads+Up+CBers way back in 08'.

OH9JK 01-18-2012 06:06 PM

Oh that's just the "superbowl" of CB radio you are hearing....those idiots are running thousands of watts of power. They have been doing it for years and years....good luck with the FCC.

Skip makes it all over the world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPdfm-okRQ

AK4Dave 01-18-2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 2798358)
Oh that's just the "superbowl" of CB radio you are hearing....those idiots are running thousands of watts of power. They have been doing it for years and years....good luck with the FCC.

I listened to the first 45 seconds of it and that was enough. So glad I don't have to listen to that crap anymore and still enjoy radio......:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

vtminer 01-19-2012 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by mikekeeper

I guess if they cut taxes so far that the FCC can't enforce the wattage coming out of CB's, I'm willing to sacrifice listening to a bunch of idiots on 1 out if the 40 channels. Seriously, if you don't want to listen to it, change the channel.

mr_larryhill 01-24-2012 10:20 PM

Hahaha I get it in wisconsin too

Sparkplug 01-25-2012 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by AK4Dave (Post 2796834)
The thing is....CB is HF, and during the high sunspot activity (solar cycle), as it is now, HF signals can travel around the world, much less just the US. This is the main reason I posted this: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Heads+Up+CBers way back in 08'.

This guy hits it right on. I read his post a long time ago and totally agreed with it. CB channels are going to be crowded over the next few years, especially in the evenings. There are 39 other channels, yes. There is also an entire country of these CB jibberish rednecks choosing from those 40. It's going to be busy for a while.

4WheelingAstronomer 01-26-2012 06:29 PM

When i got my CB for my Dodge Dakota, i was hoping it would be useful for asking about traffic jams and conditions....disappointed by the jabbering idiots

IKE2011 01-26-2012 06:42 PM

Got em in CinciNasty too. I though it was local dipshits throwing handles. Wow Nationwide. I listen for 30 seconds once in a while and they are always on.

The_Yeti 01-26-2012 06:56 PM

Here in colorado i get skips from Mexico. Pretty annoying

D_engel 01-27-2012 07:34 AM

I dont have a cb yet so I dont have personal experience with these goobers, but all I want to know is what is the point of running major wattage just so people can hear you babble?

FrankCastle01 01-27-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by The_Yeti

Thats probably pueblo

AK4Dave 01-27-2012 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by D_engel (Post 2815760)
I dont have a cb yet so I dont have personal experience with these goobers, but all I want to know is what is the point of running major wattage just so people can hear you babble?

It makes them feel like they have a big penis.....

AK4Dave 01-27-2012 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by The_Yeti (Post 2815061)

We usually get it from Asia, but it moves around a little during the day.

CBrNoMore 01-27-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by OH9JK
....those idiots are running thousands of watts of power ...
]

When you say thousands, you're not kidding. I've read where some of these guys are running in the neighborhood of 15-25 kW. Ouch. I'm getting too much RF exposure just thinking about it.

AK4Dave 01-28-2012 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CBrNoMore (Post 2817189)
When you say thousands, you're not kidding. I've read where some of these guys are running in the neighborhood of 15-25 kW. Ouch. I'm getting too much RF exposure just thinking about it.

Well I doubt many are running that much power, but I know some have managed to get their hands on old radio broadcasting equipment which would be crazy wattage. For the most part, many of them are running maybe 3k at the most.....maybe 10 if they got a hold of a good old Henry amp. Good antenna's and antenna elevation has a lot to do with it, as even 100 watts up at 200 feet will sound like thousands. Especially at this time in the solar cycle.

Think about this..... During the last solar cycle I built a very good, but still fairly small, 4 element, 10m monoband yagi. I only had it up around 40 feet. One day the propagation was so good that I decided to do some experimenting. From here in AK. I hooked up with some guys all up and down the east coast. At that time I only had about a 600 watt amp. I would first start the qso at the full 600w, and then would slowly turn it down as we talked....getting reports all the way. At first my signal reports were 5/9 plus 30-40 db over. By the end, I had gone down to 5........yes I said 5 watts, and was STILL getting solid 5/9 reports.

So that right there should tell you the benefits of good antennas, elevation, and fantastic propagation. Add a couple thousand watts to that and what are you going to get? Probably some really pissed off neighbors....:rotflmao2::rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

pastorwug 02-16-2012 02:13 PM

Update today - just got a call back from the FCC - they said they would begin an investigation when manpower permitted (aka never) and that they would report back to me when they find out something.
Anyway - at least they took the time to call back after lodging my initial complaint.

AK4Dave 02-16-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by pastorwug (Post 2854037)
Update today - just got a call back from the FCC - they said they would begin an investigation when manpower permitted (aka never) and that they would report back to me when they find out something.
Anyway - at least they took the time to call back after lodging my initial complaint.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much either. But if enough people, like yourself, have filed complaints then they will possibly go after them. It really isn't that hard to find a station with directional antennas......especially if they are putting out a lot of power. People do get busted, both CBers and HAM ops as well. Over the years I've read about plenty of HAMs that have lost their gear, lost, or have had their license suspended, and/or been fined to boot. Many times the reason a CBer will end up getting caught is because of HAM ops that have gotten together to record these guys transmissions, and located where they are transmitting from. Then it's just a matter of letting the FCC, or the local authorities do the rest.

Absolute 02-16-2012 05:43 PM

It's ironic though, I can hear these guy from the other side of the US but can't hear the guy around the next corner 1/2 mile up the trail.:crazyeyes:

conifers4 02-16-2012 05:48 PM

Alabama Skipshooter had 28 on lockdown the other day thats for sure.

hypeiv 02-19-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by AK4Dave (Post 2854455)
Many times the reason a CBer will end up getting caught is because of HAM ops that have gotten together to record these guys transmissions, and located where they are transmitting from. Then it's just a matter of letting the FCC, or the local authorities do the rest.

Not sure if that applies to this case... the story I heard was truckers were opening up their radios to have 120 channels and free banding over frequency and started talking on the 10m band in the portion where hams are trying to do Morse code... since they heard people talking on frequencies they never use to talk on it stuck out like a sore thumb and they tracked the problem down and got it taken care of. Also I think its popular for truckers to buy 10m radios which can be sold with adjustable power that easily goes over 4watts and modding them to operate on the 11m band... they can likely get away with that for years if they just stick to the CB channels and don't just intentionally key over everyone.

As far as running illegal power on the 11m band, most hams couldn't care less until it interferes with their legal operation. So I doubt many hams are going to put much effort into tracking someone down on channel 6 just so the few of us who are annoyed by it can use our auto scan function.

AK4Dave 02-21-2012 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by hypeiv (Post 2858667)
Not sure if that applies to this case... the story I heard was truckers were opening up their radios to have 120 channels and free banding over frequency and started talking on the 10m band in the portion where hams are trying to do Morse code... since they heard people talking on frequencies they never use to talk on it stuck out like a sore thumb and they tracked the problem down and got it taken care of. Also I think its popular for truckers to buy 10m radios which can be sold with adjustable power that easily goes over 4watts and modding them to operate on the 11m band... they can likely get away with that for years if they just stick to the CB channels and don't just intentionally key over everyone.

As far as running illegal power on the 11m band, most hams couldn't care less until it interferes with their legal operation. So I doubt many hams are going to put much effort into tracking someone down on channel 6 just so the few of us who are annoyed by it can use our auto scan function.

Like you said....they will if the it interferes with their station. Like I said in previous post tho, HAMs will track down the "bad" guys from time to time. I've read about a number of them.

I used to be that "freebander" or "bandit" operator for a number of years, running those 120 channels......40 channels above and 40 below the main channels. Also ran power as well. Finally I got a "Cease and desist" letter from the FCC. So they do monitor those frequencies. It was about that time we all were thinking about getting our HAM license anyway, so it was a good reason to do so at that time. But the fact is there are thousands of people all over the world using the "freeband", and in many places of the world it is not illegal to do so.

hypeiv 02-22-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by AK4Dave (Post 2863392)
It was about that time we all were thinking about getting our HAM license anyway, so it was a good reason to do so at that time.

Yea I wish everyone in the jeep club I wheel with would just get their Ham license... Yesterday I got a SMA to SO239 adapter and a little 19inch 2m antenna for $9 off ebay. I unscrewed my 3' firestik cb antenna and put in this 2m half the size (and cost) antenna and plugged the coax into my handitalky's antenna port using the sma to so239 adapter and got a repeater 10 miles away off 1w!! The most I have ever gotten with my CB clear is 2.3 miles and that was at night out in the open...

The 2m band antenna is only 19inches tall and when mounted on the terraflex mount it doesn't even reach the top of my hard top and I still get great range at 1w... not mention I can always just switch to 5w if I needed more.

AK4Dave 02-23-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by hypeiv (Post 2864034)
Yea I wish everyone in the jeep club I wheel with would just get their Ham license... Yesterday I got a SMA to SO239 adapter and a little 19inch 2m antenna for $9 off ebay. I unscrewed my 3' firestik cb antenna and put in this 2m half the size (and cost) antenna and plugged the coax into my handitalky's antenna port using the sma to so239 adapter and got a repeater 10 miles away off 1w!! The most I have ever gotten with my CB clear is 2.3 miles and that was at night out in the open...

The 2m band antenna is only 19inches tall and when mounted on the terraflex mount it doesn't even reach the top of my hard top and I still get great range at 1w... not mention I can always just switch to 5w if I needed more.

When I used the same type set up as you......except it was a full sized 2m mag mount on the roof of my truck, I also bought a little homebrew amp. It gave 30w out from 5w in......

MossGaBoss 02-25-2012 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by BONDSY (Post 2794043)
lol I hear those guys to. It sounds like they are from the south.:D

Hey Now......!!!!!!!! Everybody that talks on a CB sounds like they're from the South!!!!! LOL:rotflmao2:

Cybers66 04-06-2013 05:15 AM

Skip channel 6

we don `t have the skip on channel 6 in Quebec, Canada

Originally Posted by pastorwug (Post 2793683)
CB channel 6 - what a distraction!
They sound like a bunch of hillbillies that just talk gibberish constantly.
One guy says bye-bye at least 30 times in a row every 1/2 hour or so.
Does anyone else have to put up with these idiots every time you turn on the CB?
Can the FCC do something about it, the wttage they transmit over is way off the hook even here in Central California.

donnie 04-06-2013 07:13 AM

Its also possible that the reason they are getting as far as they are
with the cb s is due to the sunspot activity.
It enhances certain ham freqs so it may be doing the same for
cb channel 6.:thinking::dontknow2: