Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Bozos on Channel 6 - who are these guys?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorwug
Update today - just got a call back from the FCC - they said they would begin an investigation when manpower permitted (aka never) and that they would report back to me when they find out something.
Anyway - at least they took the time to call back after lodging my initial complaint.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect much either. But if enough people, like yourself, have filed complaints then they will possibly go after them. It really isn't that hard to find a station with directional antennas......especially if they are putting out a lot of power. People do get busted, both CBers and HAM ops as well. Over the years I've read about plenty of HAMs that have lost their gear, lost, or have had their license suspended, and/or been fined to boot. Many times the reason a CBer will end up getting caught is because of HAM ops that have gotten together to record these guys transmissions, and located where they are transmitting from. Then it's just a matter of letting the FCC, or the local authorities do the rest.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi

It's ironic though, I can hear these guy from the other side of the US but can't hear the guy around the next corner 1/2 mile up the trail.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alabama Skipshooter had 28 on lockdown the other day thats for sure.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Many times the reason a CBer will end up getting caught is because of HAM ops that have gotten together to record these guys transmissions, and located where they are transmitting from. Then it's just a matter of letting the FCC, or the local authorities do the rest.
Not sure if that applies to this case... the story I heard was truckers were opening up their radios to have 120 channels and free banding over frequency and started talking on the 10m band in the portion where hams are trying to do Morse code... since they heard people talking on frequencies they never use to talk on it stuck out like a sore thumb and they tracked the problem down and got it taken care of. Also I think its popular for truckers to buy 10m radios which can be sold with adjustable power that easily goes over 4watts and modding them to operate on the 11m band... they can likely get away with that for years if they just stick to the CB channels and don't just intentionally key over everyone.

As far as running illegal power on the 11m band, most hams couldn't care less until it interferes with their legal operation. So I doubt many hams are going to put much effort into tracking someone down on channel 6 just so the few of us who are annoyed by it can use our auto scan function.

Last edited by hypeiv; 02-20-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Not sure if that applies to this case... the story I heard was truckers were opening up their radios to have 120 channels and free banding over frequency and started talking on the 10m band in the portion where hams are trying to do Morse code... since they heard people talking on frequencies they never use to talk on it stuck out like a sore thumb and they tracked the problem down and got it taken care of. Also I think its popular for truckers to buy 10m radios which can be sold with adjustable power that easily goes over 4watts and modding them to operate on the 11m band... they can likely get away with that for years if they just stick to the CB channels and don't just intentionally key over everyone.

As far as running illegal power on the 11m band, most hams couldn't care less until it interferes with their legal operation. So I doubt many hams are going to put much effort into tracking someone down on channel 6 just so the few of us who are annoyed by it can use our auto scan function.
Like you said....they will if the it interferes with their station. Like I said in previous post tho, HAMs will track down the "bad" guys from time to time. I've read about a number of them.

I used to be that "freebander" or "bandit" operator for a number of years, running those 120 channels......40 channels above and 40 below the main channels. Also ran power as well. Finally I got a "Cease and desist" letter from the FCC. So they do monitor those frequencies. It was about that time we all were thinking about getting our HAM license anyway, so it was a good reason to do so at that time. But the fact is there are thousands of people all over the world using the "freeband", and in many places of the world it is not illegal to do so.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
It was about that time we all were thinking about getting our HAM license anyway, so it was a good reason to do so at that time.
Yea I wish everyone in the jeep club I wheel with would just get their Ham license... Yesterday I got a SMA to SO239 adapter and a little 19inch 2m antenna for $9 off ebay. I unscrewed my 3' firestik cb antenna and put in this 2m half the size (and cost) antenna and plugged the coax into my handitalky's antenna port using the sma to so239 adapter and got a repeater 10 miles away off 1w!! The most I have ever gotten with my CB clear is 2.3 miles and that was at night out in the open...

The 2m band antenna is only 19inches tall and when mounted on the terraflex mount it doesn't even reach the top of my hard top and I still get great range at 1w... not mention I can always just switch to 5w if I needed more.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Yea I wish everyone in the jeep club I wheel with would just get their Ham license... Yesterday I got a SMA to SO239 adapter and a little 19inch 2m antenna for $9 off ebay. I unscrewed my 3' firestik cb antenna and put in this 2m half the size (and cost) antenna and plugged the coax into my handitalky's antenna port using the sma to so239 adapter and got a repeater 10 miles away off 1w!! The most I have ever gotten with my CB clear is 2.3 miles and that was at night out in the open...

The 2m band antenna is only 19inches tall and when mounted on the terraflex mount it doesn't even reach the top of my hard top and I still get great range at 1w... not mention I can always just switch to 5w if I needed more.
When I used the same type set up as you......except it was a full sized 2m mag mount on the roof of my truck, I also bought a little homebrew amp. It gave 30w out from 5w in......
Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BONDSY
lol I hear those guys to. It sounds like they are from the south.
Hey Now......!!!!!!!! Everybody that talks on a CB sounds like they're from the South!!!!! LOL
Old 04-06-2013, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Skip channel 6

we don `t have the skip on channel 6 in Quebec, Canada

Originally Posted by pastorwug
CB channel 6 - what a distraction!
They sound like a bunch of hillbillies that just talk gibberish constantly.
One guy says bye-bye at least 30 times in a row every 1/2 hour or so.
Does anyone else have to put up with these idiots every time you turn on the CB?
Can the FCC do something about it, the wttage they transmit over is way off the hook even here in Central California.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its also possible that the reason they are getting as far as they are
with the cb s is due to the sunspot activity.
It enhances certain ham freqs so it may be doing the same for
cb channel 6.

Quick Reply: Bozos on Channel 6 - who are these guys?