Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Can you connect the external speaker to aux on radio?

Old 03-31-2017, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you connect the external speaker to aux on radio?

I'm thinking about buying a Cobra 75 WX ST and was wondering if I can run the external speaker on the unit to my aux plug on my radio and listen over the radio speakers. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The speaker output of the radio and the input of the aux jack are both different impedances and voltages. While you could connect it and use the volume control on the radio to limit the speaker output voltage and (hopefully) not damage your Jeep radio's aux input circuit, that's both risky and subject to distortion (because of the impedance mismatch). Fortunately, the circuit to make them work is pretty easy and inexpensive to build. You can learn more here ...

Speaker signal to line level

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-01-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I should add that you may want to build it with a variable resistor, adjust it for satisfactory performance, then measure the resistance dialed in and replace with a fixed resistor.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! My little handheld did well on the trail, I could use it up to a quarter mile, that's more than I expected with that little antenna that I paid $40 for.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MikeOK
Thanks! My little handheld did well on the trail, I could use it up to a quarter mile, that's more than I expected with that little antenna that I paid $40 for.
If the handheld has a headset/earphone output, then you should be able to safely connect that with a simple 3.5 mil cable to the Jeep radio aux input. The voltages and impedances may not be an exact match, but at least it's not pumping out a lot of power expecting low impedance like a speaker jack would be.

Quick Reply: Can you connect the external speaker to aux on radio?