Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB and HAM

Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB and HAM

Ok so I'm new to HAM ! Very new! The group I wheel with is split 50/50 with CB/HAM is there a mobile transceiver model that operates both ham band frequencies and cb frequencies? If not is there a way I can connect both a CB and a HAM radio to the same antenna as I don't want two antennas on the back of my jeep.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by emtclimbermatt
Ok so I'm new to HAM ! Very new! The group I wheel with is split 50/50 with CB/HAM is there a mobile transceiver model that operates both ham band frequencies and cb frequencies? If not is there a way I can connect both a CB and a HAM radio to the same antenna as I don't want two antennas on the back of my jeep.
No to the first question and a qualified Yes to the second.

There is no legal, FCC type-accepted transceiver which combines amateur and Citizens Band frequencies. Modifying an amateur transceiver to work on 27MHz is against FCC type-acceptance and quite illegal for transmitting.

There are ways to feed different radios into one antenna. None of them are simple. It will be helpful to know what amateur frequencies you intend to use. What class amateur license do you hold?

73 de WP2XX
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NQ3X

No to the first question and a qualified Yes to the second.

There is no legal, FCC type-accepted transceiver which combines amateur and Citizens Band frequencies. Modifying an amateur transceiver to work on 27MHz is against FCC type-acceptance and quite illegal for transmitting.

There are ways to feed different radios into one antenna. None of them are simple. It will be helpful to know what amateur frequencies you intend to use. What class amateur license do you hold?

73 de WP2XX
I just started working on the tech level license and am planning on just using a Mobil base in my jeep for jeep to jeep communication, so I'm not sure which bands. Do you haves yo links to site for parts on connecting both to the same antenna?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Ok i will give this a shot. The tech license will allow you to mainly work the VHF and above frequencies. CB operates on the HF band so normally these would be different antennas. I say normally as there are a few that could possibly do both. First on the antenna, you will probably have to run a tuner as the antenna will not be made for VHF and cb frequencies, the closest ham band to there is 28mhz ( our 10m band). Chameleon is one mfg that makes an antenna that could maybe do that cheaply.
The radios are a whole other word. You may find a diplexer that would allow this but personally most hams prefer to break copper ( move coax) and only run 1 radio at a time due to the cost of our radios that we run. You may only have $60 in your cb but ham radios cost a lot more than that.

I know there is not much substance in this but I would suggest you really think about this 1 antenna mindset. I run an HF on the back and a 2m/70cm on the fender and this works well for me. Please understand that all of this is general info and others here may be doing exactly what you are looking for with no issues.

I hope this helped some and good luck with the tech test
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't see an easy nor cheap way to do this... tuners, switches,,,, etc...

First thing to do is ask yourself what other ways are you wanting to use the HAM radio, for example; do you want an HT for backpacking use, etc... or are you only wanting mobile use?
An HT HAM radio will do very well for trail use and can be used as a mobile radio as well.
Or if you are only interested in using your HAM radio as a mobile radio then spend most your energy on a good HAM setup and buy a CB HT for trail use.

I would base your radio needs first off of what your HAM radio needs are. As you will find that it's by far the better radio setup... etc... at least that's my opinion.

and welcome to HAM radio

73's
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 AM
JK Newbie

Okay. That's enough information to go on.

As a Technician licensee, you have full access to amateur frequencies above 30MHz (VHF+) and limited access to amateur frequencies below 30MHz(MF/HF). Unfortunately, as other have noted, integrating common Technician frequencies and equipment - 50MHz+, usually narrowband FM - with Citizens Band - 27MHz AM - is going to be problematic. One antenna will NOT do both. There is no such animal commercially available, to the best of my knowledge. (If there is, someone let me know so I can critically examine it.)

That said, a CB antenna can be fairly easily made to work on the amateur 10-meter band (28-30MHz).

That still leaves a problem - no single radio exists which can do both CB and amateur transmissions. All commercially-available transmitters and amplifiers must be type-accepted by the FCC in order to be legal for sale. The FCC rules restrict CB transmissions to certain modes and certain amounts of effective radiated power. That power is LOW; that's why you can find stories about FCC enforcement agents raiding truck-stop CB shops selling illegal amplifiers. An amateur transceiver will almost certainly exceed that power limit. And if you modify an amateur rig to transmit on CB frequencies, it will lack FCC type-acceptance for CB.

You're very probably going to need two radios and two antennas: One each for CB, and one each for amateur VHF+.

Cheers,

Bob WP2XX

Quick Reply: CB and HAM