Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB help

Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB help

Im a noob when it comes to cb's have never used one.

In a month im going with a group to a off road park. Everyone has cb's. so now i want one I will only really need the cb maybe 5-6 times a year. Id like to say im gonna get out more but its not realistic.

My question. I was thinking of getting a handheld/ portable cb. Any thoughts on this? I was going to just install a cb in my rig but.... if I only turn it on a few times a year id rather just get a portable one if its on par with a in rig cb.

another question if a portable is not the way to go. My dad is a trucker and has a box with his cb in it so he can remove it from the cab. He made it its in like a tool box. what would be needed to make one of these. I plan on asking him next time i talk to him but I was on here and figured id just put it out there.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skippyrock
Im a noob when it comes to cb's have never used one.

In a month im going with a group to a off road park. Everyone has cb's. so now i want one I will only really need the cb maybe 5-6 times a year. Id like to say im gonna get out more but its not realistic.

My question. I was thinking of getting a handheld/ portable cb. Any thoughts on this? I was going to just install a cb in my rig but.... if I only turn it on a few times a year id rather just get a portable one if its on par with a in rig cb.

another question if a portable is not the way to go. My dad is a trucker and has a box with his cb in it so he can remove it from the cab. He made it its in like a tool box. what would be needed to make one of these. I plan on asking him next time i talk to him but I was on here and figured id just put it out there.
I owned a portable Handheld and i had trouble hearing my friend that was driving right behind me on the highway using the same portable one. (no external antenna) If your going to get a CB Box your also going to need an Antenna, Antenna mount, CB coaxial cable and a stud mount (probally a spring and quick disconnect too depending on wheeling/location)

Heres a really good kit for the price and CB if your looking for a kit for your JK- I ended up buying everything seperatly as it seemed to cost less but in the end it cost me more and caused a lot of frustration as i didnt know a stud mount was needed, ended up getting the wrong one.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/je...wx-st-419.html

Last edited by Croce; 03-29-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

you can do a hand held. i have the midland 75-822. it works great. I don't use it that much either. And if you end up wanting a bigger antenna on it you can do that too. I keep mine put away until i need then i hook up the larger antenna and plug it in.
here is my install
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...y-CB-today-YAY!!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handheld can be used pretty well in the JK. The only real drawback it the lack of noiseblankers in them and when the JK is running it puts out some pretty good noise.
To use one and get better range get an adapter to hook up to a mag mount antenna mounted on the hood or something on the trails. I have a teraflex mount at the sparetire for my cobra 148gtl mounted in the center on top of the dash and that works really well. I also carry a cobra handheld 38wxst that works very well and has the weather channels in it for when I am out of the jeep or need to get the weather if it starts looking bad.

The best part of handheld is you can take it out of the jeep and there is nothing to be stolen if you are running topless or soft top.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

ok thanks guys, i looked around at a bunch of threads and im going to get the midland 822.

Quick Reply: CB help