Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB newbie

Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB newbie

What do you use your CB for? Is it mostly for talking to people you know who you are wheeling with that day? Other uses? What kind of range can you get? I wonder if it would be a valuable emergency comm backup to call home when there isn't cell service, if I'm within 50-100 miles of home... 27 MHz is a little on the high side, but maybe it could do the ham skywave thing?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Jeep is a daily driver and I spend alot of time on the interstate. I monitor CH 19 and let the truckers tell me when there is trouble ahead.

I also DX on mine when mother nature allows.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billsimcox
My Jeep is a daily driver and I spend alot of time on the interstate. I monitor CH 19 and let the truckers tell me when there is trouble ahead.

I also DX on mine when mother nature allows.
What is DX?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mastiff
What is DX?
DX is HAM lingo for the "skywave" coms that you are talking about. It means "distant contact". Usually CBers refer to it as "skip". And yes, during the right propagation conditions 27m can be used to talk all over the world. Even with local ground wave conditions just right you can talk the 50-100 miles like you mention. But at 4 watts AM it can be a little hard to do, especially from a mobile rig. Upper and lower sideband will help you out a little more as they can run up around 12 watts. Now given a full sized base antenna with some height to it, then you have more of a chance.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 05-19-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mine to stay in contact with the trail leader during club events. Like last time had to call him 4 times to let him know I was pulling a Hummer off or out and wait for us.
Yeah someone brought a Hummer to a Jeep wheelin' event.

Quick Reply: CB newbie