Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB or not CB

Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tuning an antenna is easy. The SWR meter costs all of $30 and will last a lifetime. It's worth it. You'd be amazed at how much better a tuned CB system works. The Firestik antennas are popular because they are so easy to tune and almost always have very low SWR's. If you go off road sooner or later you will break an antenna and have to replace it. Then that meter comes into play again. Plus, you'll be the guy that has one for others!
Old 10-20-2007, 04:54 PM
HEK
JK Freak

I'll have to do more "soul" searching.......wifey makes so much sense and brings me to my knees when she says that a good walky would do the trick for the amount of time I spend "off roading"...0% that upgrading the "sound system" is more my speed... ....damn I hate to be brought to my knees ....
Old 10-20-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default CB or No CB

Originally Posted by HEK
So I have been reading these tpics on CB's and now I'm thinking...why not , let's buy one.. , but really those of you who have one does it really get much use...
I listen to CD's and my I-Pod when in the Jeep as is my daily ride and I'm not sure if having one would get the use that would justify buying one, but it sure would look good...
Now on that note in the event that I was going to buy one, which model would you suggest be a good buy, a fire stick seems what's "in" and the "squelch" (spell) meter ..after you use to calibrate your antenna/ signal, what other use does it have?..do they rent them?? like Autozone does with tools that you will probably use once or twice in your lifetime...
Thanks for reading.....

HEK aka Hector
Hector, I am actually a Ham Radio Operator but I believe the idea of a CB in a group of off-roader's is to allow communications with-in the group for safety reasons. The point-man can relay any serious situations that the rest of the group will come upon and anyone in the group can call for help as needed or request a "pit stop". It probably doesn't have much use until you get out on the trail or get within range of the "meeting spot" for close-in directions. All-n-all I may put one in my JK just to have it if the need arises! Take care and be safe... Mike
Old 10-20-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toad
I used to use those walkie talkie things out on the trail..and the batteries ALWAYS died on me. Since having gotten the Cobra 75 CB, I can now keep in contact with everyone on the trail and have a great time with it as well It's definately a useful tool out there when your wheeling, but that's the only time I use it. I do have to say, I may not use it ALL the time, but it comes in handy when I DO use it and I always have a way of communication.

And we all love to communicate on the trail with friends it makes for a great time!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HEK
I'll have to do more "soul" searching.......wifey makes so much sense and brings me to my knees when she says that a good walky would do the trick for the amount of time I spend "off roading"...0% that upgrading the "sound system" is more my speed... ....damn I hate to be brought to my knees ....

It's always better to beg for forgiveness ... then to ask for permission!

At least that's how I got my JK
Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
It's always better to beg for forgiveness ... then to ask for permission!

At least that's how I got my JK
lol...actually I have to thank her for being the one that led me to the Jeep dealer as I wanted a FJ and didn't ever consider buying an American built vehicle....so on that note I think she has made decisions for me that have had great outcomes.
Today I'm looking into all options...hand held walkies, the Cobra and possibly the Midland...thanks all for your thoughts....
Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a CB mounted in my JK using the Arizona Rocky Road overhead Jeep radio mount. I actually use it alot on the highway just to talk on long trips and get road conditions up ahead, plus it's always fun to listen to the truckers. But it really comes in handy during an off road trip with others. Makes the ride quite a bit more fun when you can talk and hear everyones comments. Plus it works everywhere cell phones don't!

Last edited by jeeper; 10-24-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
I always see it this way, I bought a CB, Survival Knife, thermal blanket, and some other minor things such as a lighter. The reason I did this is not because I use it all the time, but to be prepared for worst case scenario. The same principal I have a gun. I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
and condoms.

a lot of clubs won't let you ride if you can't talk on the trail.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you live anywhere near a major city you have to have one! You will never listen to those radio morning shows again! The truckers make the morning drive very humorouse!

As for the trail... I am banging my head against the wall waiting to get mine in! It is almost as important as a good set of straps.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love listening to the truckers on the highway, they can be funny and informational as to locations of police, accidents, and traffic problems. Sometimes they can even help on long trips.

Quick Reply: CB or not CB