Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CB vs VHF Frequencies

Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB vs VHF Frequencies

Alright, this is probably a total Noob question. I'm a pilot, so I'm familiar enough with VHF radios, but relatively inexperienced with CB's. I was looking at getting a CB when I found some reasonably priced marine VHF radios. Do CBs operate on VHF frequencies? Do I need a radio operators license to have a VHF radio in my jeep? If I can communicate with my CB buddies through a VHF radio, I'd much rather spend the extra money to get one of those. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Kahntakt
Alright, this is probably a total Noob question. I'm a pilot, so I'm familiar enough with VHF radios, but relatively inexperienced with CB's. I was looking at getting a CB when I found some reasonably priced marine VHF radios. Do CBs operate on VHF frequencies? Do I need a radio operators license to have a VHF radio in my jeep? If I can communicate with my CB buddies through a VHF radio, I'd much rather spend the extra money to get one of those. Any help would be appreciated!
Negative.....VHF, meaning "very high freq." is a long way (radio spectrum) from the CB freqs. which is HF, meaning "high freq. VHF usually refers to 2 meters, around 144 megahertz, and HF, the CB freq is 11 meters, around 27 megahertz.

I don't believe you need a license to talk on the marine band.....it's a lot like CB. The marine, and aircraft bands are close to the 2 meter (HAM) band. But if you want to talk on the 2 meter HAM band you would need a HAM license.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got it. Thanks a lot for the help man!

Quick Reply: CB vs VHF Frequencies