Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Are CBs really useful?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use mine frequently for both trail and highway use for all the reasons previously mentioned. I do like the fact that the Cobra 75 has the NOAA weather (Wx) channels on it to listen to emergency storm warnings/watches, etc.

They are an absolute must on the trail...when you're out with a long line of rigs on a trail and the lead vehicle calls something out or there is a change of plans, it's kind of a pain to make sure everyone knows when they don't have a CB...plus we'll spot each other from our rigs so the line can keep moving along the trail.

If you're not much of a highway driver and have no plans on needing/wanting longer range Rx/Tx capability, I'd get a handheld for the trail. You'll all be close enough the handheld will get reception fine. Cobra actually sells and handheld kit with a vehicle charger and small magnetic antenna for longer hauls...can't remember the model number though.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put my cb in not to long ago and I have been surprised by the lack of talking when I turn it on. Even in traffic it has not been that useful to me, but I got it mostly for off roading anyway. It has provided a few good laughs when I am on the road late at night though.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my pa all the time, but rarely the cb. The most I used it was moving my family from co to ny. Cb in each vehicle is much less of a pain than cell phones. And the trucker talk was pretty funny at times...
Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Always think of Sally Field and Burt Reynolds when I have my CB on..........Smoky and the Bandit......"Convoy"

Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Great on the trail when traveling in a group, and not too bad on the regular highway, either. In a larger group, helps keeps track of everyone, and also nice to be able to talk to the other drivers in the slow spots.

I have a Midland 75-822, which comes with battery compartments (one for rechargeable and one for regular) so you can use it as a handheld also, and it's powered through the cigarette lighter when used in the vehicle. Not too expensive, and works great. Right now, I just let it sit on the seat next to me, but there are a number of commercial brackets that'll work (next to the radio seems to be a common spot for the bracket --check the internet), and it's not hard to make a bracket if you like to do that sort of thing. There's also a bracket-thing that'll attach up near the roll bar and you pull down the handset when you want to use it and it retracts when you're done (haven't actually seen one of these, though).

I keep the CB in the center console when I'm not using it (I have an aftermarket steel console that locks).
Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a mandatory item on many organized club runs. That is why I had one in my jeep within two weeks. I got another Cobra 75. The last one is 12 years old and it is in my pickup truck. Any time you caravan it is great to have.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It is a mandatory item on many organized club runs. That is why I had one in my jeep within two weeks. I got another Cobra 75. The last one is 12 years old and it is in my pickup truck. Any time you caravan it is great to have.
X2 once you do an organized run you quickly realize how much you NEED a cb.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snowbilt

X2 once you do an organized run you quickly realize how much you NEED a cb.
Definitely. It's a good way to get un-lost.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have both a CB and 2m/440 HAM installed as well as when I'm going on a run I carry a spare handheld of each as a backup or to loan to another keeper in need.
CB: President HR-2510
HAM: Yaesu FT-7900R
Handheld CB: realistic I think, it's in the jeep.
Handheld 2m: Vertex VXA-700
Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

here in Whistler my cb is useless unless i know for sure there is another one nearby, and i'm usually wheeling with that person. they are great offroad, especially with large groups. way better than running 15 or 20 jeeps ahead only to find out they are moving again and you gotta run back.
sometimes i turn it on when i go down to the lower mainland, but if i hear anything it's usually truckers i think and i can't understand a dam word they are saying. tried lots of channels down there, but have never actually spoken to anyone.
I have a ham radio i'm going to put in as well eventually, as it is very usefully in locating the logging trucks on the fsrs around here. they tend to drive down the middle and don't really accomadate on coming traffic very well!

Last edited by Rubichronic; 11-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Are CBs really useful?