Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

COAX wire routing

Old 01-08-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COAX wire routing

I just installed my CB and antenna mount on the back of my 4dr Rubicon. I have the 18 foot WIlson shielded cable that I need to run from the glove box to the rear of my Jeep. I have in the past run the wire along the roll bar. It looks like it may give me a little more slack in the wire if I run it along the floor under the rug along the passenger side. My only concern was that there are wires that already were there. Will those wires interfere with any of the signal with my CB? I just have not hear anyone running the wire this way.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be fine. Also, forget what they say about cable length, while it does matter, it matters less than what you'll likely do with the excess. Trim to your needs.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ran mine that way and haven't had any issues.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

appreciate it

Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's shielded, as long as one end is grounded you are good
Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is the way I routed my cable and no problems. The 18 ft. is just about the perfect length running it this way to the glovebox in my JKU.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought all the equipment to mount a cb in my new Willys and was hoping the 18ft cable was long enough. I wanted to mount the radio over the rearview mirror. So you guys are saying run the antenna along the floor under the carpet? I bought the antenna mount for the spare tire mount.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erpeden
I just bought all the equipment to mount a cb in my new Willys and was hoping the 18ft cable was long enough. I wanted to mount the radio over the rearview mirror. So you guys are saying run the antenna along the floor under the carpet? I bought the antenna mount for the spare tire mount.
My opinion.... If mounting the CB up high, go up through the roll bar padding (un-zip, lay in, re-zip). If going low.. Go under the carpet. What ever you do, run the coax first, to see how much play you will have left over.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hafaday
My opinion.... If mounting the CB up high, go up through the roll bar padding (un-zip, lay in, re-zip). If going low.. Go under the carpet. What ever you do, run the coax first, to see how much play you will have left over.
Ok that makes sense. I like the idea of the coax in the roll bar padding.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by erpeden
If you mount the radio over the mirror and run the coax under the carpet you will find your coax a foot or 2 short. If you run it inside the bar padding on the right side along the top it works out just about perfect if the antenna is mounted on the spare mount.

Quick Reply: COAX wire routing