Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 19/cootech set up?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra 19/cootech set up?

Anyone running a Cobra 19 CB radio set up?

I'm considering buying one and using the cooltech mount and antenna set up but haven't quite figured out where to mount it nicely in the Jeep yet.

Any ideas, pictures or opinions on this set up if you have it would be greatly appreciated.

It would be my first time purchase so even if you have opinions on the radio and antenna set up let me know.... I've been searching all the other CB posts and there is quite a wide variety of gear. I just want to be able to buy with confidence and only have to do it once.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

No one running the Cobra 19 set up?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not exactly sure who's running it, but there are other posts on "where to put the CB".

Your options are fairly limited, which is why many people are going the Cobra 75 route..

However, maybe this will help out some: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...nd-model-1001z

As for the CoolTech, I personally love it. Some people worry about its sturdiness on brush-lined trails, but I've found it to be quite durable...
Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Freak

It was kind of a two part query... 1 about the mount/antenna and one about the Cobra 19DX radio. I was really wanting to hear how it performed. (mounting location, range, clarity, wear and tear, issues with it, pros, cons, etc...)

The added bonus of finding a comparable and suitable mounting location and installation instructions to boot are friggin sweet.... nice work... thanks this is helpful.

Still hoping for some opinions on the radio/antenna/mounting location set up.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-02-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scorpion king
It was kind of a two part query... 1 about the mount/antenna and one about the Cobra 19DX radio. I was really wanting to hear how it performed. (mounting location, range, clarity, wear and tear, issues with it, pros, cons, etc...)

The added bonus of finding a comparable and suitable mounting location and installation instructions to boot are friggin sweet.... nice work... thanks this is helpful.

Still hoping for some opinions on the radio/antenna/mounting location set up.

Cheers,
Steve
I just bought and installed the cooltech mount and absolutely love it. Not only was it easy to install, but it is very sturdy and from what I see, will be a very durable product. I personally haven't even checked my SWR yet and I have been picking up and broadcasting a few miles away-easy. Just helped a trucker find his way to a delivery site the next morning after installing it. I am not running the cb you mention. I have the Bluetooth Cobra model and love it, and I fabricated a bar for mine due to not really wanting to place it on top of my center stack. Here are a few pics:

Old 10-02-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

and I have full function of my soft top removal and installation and the cb is up and out of my way, and I have full field of vision out my rearview mirror.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Freak

Well it sounds like the cooltech antenna mount is the way to go by reading this and other posts. Does this mount come seperately or do you have to buy the antenna and coax with it as well?

Well a bar across the roll bars is good idea for mounting locations... nice job there. Good idea for all types of radio installs on it.

Thanks for the input.... keep em coming.

Anyone hear of rightchannelradio.com or any other shops selling CB kits?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:22 AM
JK Newbie

I've got the Cobra 19 and and I curse at it every time I use it on the road. Poor reception, poor transmission, poor squelch control.

The ironic thing is that I pulled out the cobra 75 so that I could install the 19. I thought it would be an upgrade, but I ended up going the other way.

Now I'm saving up to get the tuffy overhead console and a full size cb.

Hope this helps...

Oh, and I also have the cooltech mount and, as with anything else, it has it pro's and con's. There are only two notable cons that I can think of. The first is the location on the side of the jeep. I have caught it on many-a-branches and it gets pretty annoying on narrow trail runs. The second is that the vertical location of the mount on the jeep significantly limits the size of antenna I can run while still being able to fit in my garage (I know... I know... this is a very person-specific con). the kit came with a 4' antenna, but that makes it about 2-inches too long to fit in my 7' garage (stock rubicon w/ no lift). Not a big deal, I just went with a 3' antenna. But the 3' antenna does not stick over the top of the jeep and reduces the reception/transmission of the cb. Based on some rough measurements, if I had gone with the spare tire antenna mount I could have used a 3' antenna and it would have stuck over the top of the jeep and still be lower than my garage.

Ok... now the pro's. First and foremost (in my book) is the customer service. On two separate occasions I had to email cooltech with some questions and they were very helpful. I think the first email was to get another copy of the install manual (must have lost the original). The second email was to see if they could tell me some specifics on the "new" grounding strap that they started to include in the kits after I bought mine. My idea was to get some details and then hit lowes/home depot to piece it together. Cooltech replied within 24-hours and said to not worry about it, they would be happy to send me a grounding strap at no cost.

The next pro is durability. With all of the tree branches I've hit with the antenna, the mount has remained solid as a rock. I even took out my license plate holder against a tree/hill one time and the mount survived. I did have to bend it back to original shape a little bit, but it took nothing more that a shop vise, an adjustable wrench, and 10 minutes of my time. Considering the damage that the license plate bracket took, I was very impressed with the mount's rigidity.

The last major pro I see is the fact that the mount/antenna is not directly behind the rear glass on my hardtop. This means I'm able to lift the rear glass and close the tailgate with no problems. I think if I went with the spare tire mount, I would not be able to do this. It's a bit hard to explain why this is important, but I have noticed on several occasions that my rear glass was up and the tailgate closed listening to music in my driveway, tailgate closes on its own while unloading crap out back of the jeep, etc.. If I had the spare tire mount I'm pretty sure that the antenna would have hit the rear glass.

ok... that's all I can think of. I need more coffee.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

nickdz: Wow... really. I am a bit surprised at the radio considering the usual quality of the Cobras. Good to know thanks. Yeah, the mount sounds like a good set up and I think I'd have enough clearance in my garage to fit the jeep in with the 4'.... however.... when the 35's and lift come... ah hell... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it lol.

nota4re: Do you work for cooltech or happen to be selling these or something? If so I just wanted to ask you a few questions.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda hard to mount one in a JK in my opinion. If you want to make it so it doesn;t just stick out.

Quick Reply: Cobra 19/cootech set up?