Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 75 vs 76 question?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra 75 vs 76 question?

Hi there, I'm extremely green to the whole CB thing and am trying to decide what the best options/set up for the new Jeep is.
What I've found is that it seems that the Cobra 75 and either the Ultramount or teraflex mount with a 4' antenna is the way to go.

I have stumbled accross another similar (or so it seems) Coba CB called a Cobra 76 so what I wondering is what exactly is the diference between the two all in one handset units and is one superior to the other? Do they mount the same base unit behind the glove box or what's the deal? The 76 is half the price but is it half the quality?

I really only need this for off roading with my buddies and will probably only ever use it for channel 4 or so.... so would the similar but cheaper Cobra 76 suffice. I don't need any doo dads or fancy stuff just a plain Jane simple talk and receive radio with good output and input signal strength.

Anyway, any help or direction would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2009, 04:37 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 76 isn't even listed on Cobra's web site. That and the fact that it's neon blue (handset is lit even) would make me question its durability in a Jeep. The 75 has Soundtracker noise reduction technology, 10 weather channels, and scan mode (76 doesn't appear to offer these features). I have a full size 25 Classic in my CJ and bought the 75 for my JK because of the limited space. Wired the power unit under the driver's seat and had the mic laying by the parking brake handle. Loved the 75's convenience and it worked great as a trail radio. I recently switched to HAM radio and pulled the 75 out. I've got it listed for sale asking $100 shipped within US. Not sure what it would cost to send it north of the border but if you're interested I'm sure we could work out a deal.

BTW, I have family in Houlton, ME. Too bad I'm not up that way now but it'll be a few months yet before it's warm enough to drag the wife that far north
Old 03-21-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I wasn't sure myself having checked and even sent Cobra an e-mail (no reply yet).

It does strike me as odd that this is a Cobra product yet they don't have it listed on their site so... ??????

Yep it is too bad that we're so far apart and whatever the duty, exchange and tax fees are to cross the border may not make buying yours a cost effective solution though I appreciate your offer and would love to buy it right now but if I'm still radio less in a couple months and you've convinced your wife to go north maybe we can strike a deal lol.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe you could post a couple pics of your Rubicon on my 4door and 33's thread... I'm still looking for ideas there lol.

Quick Reply: Cobra 75 vs 76 question?