Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

CoolTech Gate Mount

Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding?

Originally Posted by MrKenmore
So I installed a Cool Tech Gate Mount antenna. Comes with a four foot Firestik. Pretty slick. It tucks behind the spare and uses the existing threaded bolt holes. This was for the ground. They want you to ground the bracket to the metal of the inside, not the metal of the tailgate.
I know this is an older post but I am installing the same mount this weekend. It looks like you ran your own ground from the top bolt of the bracket. Is that 10 gauge wire and did you mount it to the tailgate and then run a ground from the tailgate to the frame. Just curious on your grounding, I want a really good ground and everyone says to keep the ground wires really short. Some say to run it to the gate. And then a wire from the tale gate down to the frame. Do you have any pics of where your ground wire goes to?
Old 04-26-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ground runs from the antenna mount to the body. There is no connection to the tailgate directly. Although the mount would ground to the tailgate. The attachment to the body is a sheet metal screw. I believe I used an internal star washer to get good contact.

After using the setup I determined the mount methodology is no good. Its just too low. There is too mush metal near the antenna. It needs to start higher. Probably no big deal for short trail rubs or driving but just not ideal.

Quick Reply: CoolTech Gate Mount